Culinaria L'amore Chapter Forty-Two

Dedicated to Neonnerd for being my first ever fan. I just reached 1,000 so it's a memory :) Thanks!

So... fifty comments this week and a earlier update? Oui oui? Could you take just a second to click on the button to your right that reads VOTE? It's right over there and will only take you one millisecond. --------------->

<3 Infatuated

********************

All I could feel as Garrett's broad shoulders shook above me and the sofa rest arm dug into my back, all the while patting his arm as comforting as I could, was absolute guilt.

"I'm so sorry." I muttered, feeling broken on the inside. After all, I thought helplessly as Garrett shook his head, it was my dog that barrelled into Mira and caused her to trip and fall. Suddenly, the comedic actions this morning really weren't funny anymore, because it was hurting two people, and wasn't merely child's play anymore.

"Why the hell are you sorry?" He asked me in a broken voice, lifting his head to regard me with somber and sad bleak eyes.

"Simbah made Mira fall." I muttered, looking at the fireplace and trying to hold back my tears. Garrett's arms loosened around me into a small hug, as he took a deep breath and shook his head, a wry smile on his face.

"You're so gullible. That's not why I'm sad." Garrett whispered, not meeting my eyes as the emotional rollercoaster came to an end and the vulnerable Garrett slowly began to disappear behind his familiar facade.

"What do you mean?" I asked with a frown. "What did I say wrong?"

He opened his mouth and was about to say something when an undescribeable emotion flashed across his face and he stayed silent.

"Seriously, Garrett, what am I not getting here?" I asked, a bit worried and annoyed as he remained quiet, stroking my hair absently as we stared into the fireplace.

"Forget it Kirsten, it's not a big deal." He muttered in a hollow tone, turning to look at me briefly. "Please don't blame yourself because it wasn't your fault. After all," he paused with a humorless smile on his face, "I don't know what to believe anymore. Mira may not have been pregnant to begin with and could of just lied, or it might have not been mine."

I didn't say anything in return, feeling just a little sad for Mira but also agreeing with Garrett's harsh words.

We sat there for half an hour in silence, his arm around my shoulder, not bothered by my wet hair, both deep in our own thoughts, mine confused, while he looked agitated and conflicted. Although I wanted to ask him what was on his mind, I was afraid of disrupting his thoughts because he looked so serious and intense, so I just sat there comfortably, letting his warmth soak into me, until the hotel door banged open, and a passionate clump of Alonzela came tumbling through. Their hands were tangled in each others hair and it looked like their mouths were fused together except for the couple of seconds where I could see some tongue action that seriously disturbed me.

When they slammed the door to my room, both of them still attached to each other, I sighed slightly, realizing that the sleeping arrangements had suddenly changed drastically thanks to the newly engaged couple.

"Well, it looks like I just got kicked out of my own room." I mutteered dryly, sparing a glance in Garrett's direction, and seeing him smile a little, I hesitated for a second before asking quietly, "Why were you so upset if it wasn't because Mira may or may not have lost the baby?"

There was a moment of tense silence as Garrett pondered my question, a line of frustration between his eyebrows and his lips pursed. Then, he shifted and removed his arm from my shoulder, scooting over to give me some more room. Then, he seemed to break even more, slumping over his knees and putting my head in his crossed arms, taking deep breaths as he calmed down and started talking.