Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Iris Parker

Something has been weird with Liam these past few days. I can't seem to put my finger on it, but her was definitely acting weird. And that was why I called to meet Ezra and Mace up. 

I always found it weird how those three could be friends. I mean, they were all so different and they all wanted things to turn out the way they want it to, it was just mind boggling that they can get along and not fight. 

Never mind that last part, they were always fighting. 

I sat at the cafe taking a sip of my iced coffee as I was thinking about these past few days. Liam was more... gentle. More caring? He already was for the most part, but this time he was being more protective. 

The other night, I went to bed earlier because he was coming in late. I groggily woke up when he entered the room and I felt how he kissed my cheek. I was too sleepy to wake up fully though, but what he whispered woke my mind up. 

"I'll do whatever it takes to keep you all safe. I love you." 

 I woke up slowly and asked him to repeat what he said but all he told me was that he loved me. That made my heart beat faster and shake my head and went back to sleep. 

It was only till I woke up and thought about what he said and realized that he really had been acting weird. 

He wasn't acting distant or anything, but he was spending less time with us. He said he was trying to fix something, but what that something was, he refused to tell. He would only smile and leave for work. 

Still, even if he tells me not to worry and smile at me with that handsome smile of his, I can't help but worry. I know he's hiding something from me and I can't help but feel that he's in some sort of danger. 

We were only starting out on this life of ours. I can't risk for this to end so soon already. I imagined this life to last. I didn't want to go back to the way it was before. 

"Earth to Iris?" a familiar voice said. I looked up only to see Ezra and right behind him was Mace, carrying two drinks. I was guessing Ezra made him carry both of their drinks. 

I smiled and it must have been contagious because they both smiled back. I stood up to hug them both. It has been a while since I've seen them. Precisely since... our move to the Venialgo mansion. 

Liam had told me that they were busy in their lives too so they weren't able to come visit, but I was just happy that I'm seeing them again. 

"I missed you both." I say excitedly. Being with these two, you will never have a dull moment. It will always be very fun. 

They walked to the other side of the booth and sat down. 

"Well, I don't see why. You have Liam, now." Mace said sarcastically. I snorted and threw him a tissue. 

"Oh yeah, and last I heard you still have bad blood with my dear best friend, Xenia." I bit back. Now, Mace was usually the group's good vibes charger but when if you mention Xenia, he will immediately drain out of battery. 

Let's just say they had a past...

Seeing that, both Ezra and I started laughing and Mace looked genuinely pissed. 

"That's pretty low of you, Iris." he says and I shrugged in response. 

"So why did you call us here?" Ezra started and lifted his coffee to his lips. 

I panicked. Partly because it was Ezra and mostly because I felt like I was going to fail at my conquest. Although Liam, Ezra and Mace may argue a lot and have stupid fights, they knew a lot about each others' lives. And they're pretty secretive people with shady businesses, so that says a lot about their friendship. 

I started playing with my cup, tapping my fingers against the plastic as I tried to calm my nerves. The two, however, seemed to be calm but I was sure they had an idea about what I was going to ask. 

"Uhm, I don't know." I started and chuckled nervously. "I just--" I was stuttering badly. Ugh, I'm so bad with confrontations. "I just missed you two!" I ended up saying and laughing lowly. 

I was expecting them to buy it, to smile even or just pretend that it was a good excuse. 

"I'm pretty sure Liam has told you how of a terrible liar you are." Mace said.

"Can't you come up with a better excuse?" Ezra seconded. 

My lips turned to a frown. Fine, I was a terrible liar and so what. Ugh, these two. 

"Fine, fine. I was going to ask if you guys know what's happening with Liam lately." I said, showing that I was a bit insulted. 

Mace started laughing, in revenge I'm sure. Ezra, on the other hand, kept a stoic face as if he was already expecting me to ask this question. 

"What do you mean?" he asked. That made me feel more nervous. I mean what do I tell them? That I felt that Liam was in some sort of danger? That he was acting weird? That he was being overly protective? 

I took a while to respond. 

"I don't know... Lately he's been acting as if we're in some kind of danger and... I don't know. Is he in some kind of danger? Please, if you know, tell me. I want to help him too." I finally said my intentions. Mace was serious now too. 

I could already see how displeased they were with what I said. Was there something wrong on trying to help my husband? If he really was trying to protect us, our family, then I should too. I couldn't just sit here and be protected. 

"And what if he is? What will you do?" Mace asked. Again, I was always surprised when he used his serious tone. 

I thought. And what? What can I do? Protect him? I will only get in his way. Unlike him, I don't know what kind of enemies he is fighting. Unlike him, I had no idea how to fight. But despite all that, I still want to help. 

"H-help him. He doesn't have to do this alone." I hated how I sounded so weak although I wanted to sound strong. They both looked at each other for a second and turned back to me. 

"I'm afraid that's where you're wrong Iris. You can't help him. He has to do this alone." Ezra started. 

"There's a lot of things Liam has to deal with on his own. He's had a complicated life and I understand if he hasn't told any of it to you yet. He doesn't want you to know the things he's seen, the places he's been and the things he's done." Mace continued. 

I felt like someone was stabbing my heart. Sure, I knew Liam had a dark life in which he's probably committed things I have no idea off. But what exactly has he done? What exactly does he have to deal with on his own? And why I can't help him with it? 

He has helped my dad, my family. I wanted to be there for him now too. 

They must have noticed that I was sinking in my thoughts because Ezra sighed shaking his head and Mace lightly chuckled.

"But don't worry, Iris. Even if he is in danger, we're here for him." 

"We won't let him do anything stupid... although most of the things he does is stupid because he is stupid." Mace rolled his eyes for added effect. 

I was shocked and relieved. 

Perhaps I will never understand what keeps their friendship strong, but all I could feel about it was to be thankful. 

After all, it's true. They were there for him, too. They were there when Jace was kidnapped, they've been through every high and low in Liam's life. 

Seeing these two idiots in front of me, my worries lessened.