THIRTY-SEVEN

"Babe," Nico said, grinning when he saw the expression on my face reflected in the car window at the pet name. "Do you want me to park here? Or at the gate?"

"Hm... gate's fine," I replied, turning to him. Nico nodded, smile widening when I slowly reached across the centre console of his car to take his hand. My boyfriend's hand.

The thought made my stomach flip and my cheeks heat, making me turn my head away from Nico again to try and hide the embarrassingly happy smile on my own face. Ever since we both confirmed our mutual feelings for each other, it seemed that neither of us could suppress the incredulous, syrupy smiles on our faces, despite our best efforts to convince the other that we were calm. The rest of the holiday had passed by in a blur, with me spending time with Nico whenever he was off work. In the bubble of our first official week as boyfriends, I had managed to push aside the nagging problem of Sofia from my mind. 

However, school was back, and so was Sofia.

Finding a park somewhat close to the gate, Nico and I ignored the curious glances from other students as he got out of the car, me following close behind him. Although our relationship had become official between the two of us, I wasn't too eager to make it official to everyone else. Benny finding out almost gave me a myocardial infarction, I could only imagine what would happen to my heart if the rest of the student body found out. Nico had playfully scrunched up his nose and joked about how he's going to miss out on kissing me in places other than the secluded pool shed, but the knowing gleam in his eye and the tender arm around my body told me that he'd protect me and my wishes, until I no longer wished it.

Nearing the front gate, I nearly dropped my bag and my body onto the ground as a high velocity projectile slammed into my back, a flurry of arms and loud, enthusiastic screaming.

"Mooooorning, Wes-oo-lee!" Benny cackled, attempting to plant a kiss on my cheek, which I fended off for my life. Glancing sideways as Nico, who was just watching us with amusement on his face, I turned my attention back to Benny and shoved him off, stepping a little closer to Nico. The backs of our hands brushed, Nico letting out a slight chuckle as Benny wiggled his brow, making me flush. Benny, looking at the taller man behind me, gave a small salute alongside a wide smile. "Morning, Nico."

"Mornin', Benny," Nico said, nodding in return. Dropping his voice and leaning his body closer, his torso pressing against my shoulder, Nico spoke. "Thanks for, you know, accepting us."

Us.

"No, no, thank you for accepting Wes," Benny said, pretending to tear up. "I thought he'd be single forever. Ack, just thinking about it makes me want to cry."

"Shut up, Benny," I groaned, kicking him in the shin. Wobbling forward, Benny sucked in his cry of pain as Nico snorted, discreetly tickling the palm of my hand with his hand. Moving the conversation on to more mundane topics, the three of us meandered through the throng of students in the halls, conversations bouncing off the walls as people chatted about their holidays. Girls screamed and hugged their besties as if they hadn't seen them in years, studious students were comparing the number of practise exams they completed in the past few weeks, and others were simply looking like they had the life sucked out of them the moment they stepped onto school grounds. Reaching our lockers, Benny and I grabbed our books for the day's classes while Nico simply leaned against the lockers, fingers reaching into his pocket for a cigarette.

Putting the cigarette between his lips, I rolled my eyes, plucking it with my thumb and forefinger and pointedly throwing it in the bin a metre away from us. Nico gave me a pointed look, but just let out a frustrated breath when I returned his look without flinching, his hands shoving the packet of cigarettes back into his pants.