THIRTY-EIGHT

I slumped in the passenger seat of Nico's car, fingers tapping restlessly on the edge of the door as I waited for Nico to return. His tall form soon emerged from behind the sliding doors of the supermarket, a bag of frozen peas under his arm. Getting in, he quickly pressed it against my red and burning cheek. With his extended hand, he brushed a few stray hairs from my face, before gently caressing my hand that supported the icy package on my face.

"Thanks," I mumbled, Nico managing a small smile as he gently peeled the ice away from my cheek after a few minutes. Pinching my chin with his fingers, he gently turned my head to the side before running his index finger along the red palm-shaped mark on my face.

"How's it looking?" I asked, Nico humming.

"Looks less like 'I got slapped by a raging psycho bitch' and more 'I got slapped by a bitch' now," Nico said, making me snort lightly.

"Still obvious that I got slapped then?"

"Just keep the peas on it for a bit longer. It should be alright by the time I get you home," Nico said, taking my hand and forcing it to press the iced bag against my face again. The drive home was quiet, but not uncomfortable; my mind was preoccupied with the mess that was my 'relationship' with Sofia. At every few red lights, Nico would softly ask to see my cheek, making a teasing comment every time. Thought his words were light-hearted, the tremor of anger and concern in his surveying eyes made my heart warm. 

Sooner than I would have liked, I found myself parked in front of my house, not quite wanting to go in. Nico sensed my reluctance, and just chuckled under his breath. The peas I held against my face had long since turned lukewarm, Nico plucking them from my fingers, throwing them carelessly onto the dashboard before cupping my face in his hands. He gave me a soft, lingering kiss, murmuring that he'll miss me too, even though I never said the words aloud. Pouting a little as he released me from his hands, Nico just rolled his eyes as he handed me my backpack from the backseat, before giving me the softened bag of peas.

"The redness has gone down, but it might be a bit sore for a bit longer," Nico said, almost sounding apologetic as he saw the calming pinkness on my cheek. 

"Sounds like you know from experience," I teased, happiness bubbling when I saw Nico's worried frown disappear from my quip.

"If you ever get punched in the face, I can tell you how that's like as well," Nico said, eyes alight. "I remember a certain someone punched me right here..." Nico tickled the angle of his jaw with his finger, making me flush.

"I apologised for that, didn't I?!" I groaned, Nico shrugging his shoulders, feigning obliviousness.

"Did you? I can't quite remember," Nico said, making me puff my cheeks out, which only made him let out a coddling sound and pinch my uninjured cheek. "Cute."

"I'm not cute," I whined, voice warbled from Nico's squeezing. Seeing that Nico wasn't going to stop squeezing my cheek any time soon, I flicked at his wrist, making him drop his arm reluctantly. "Great, now my other cheek is red."

"At least it's symmetrical now," Nico laughed as I shook my head, grinning.

"Shut up, Nico. I'll see you tomorrow," I said, squeezing his hand before turning towards my home.

"Yeah, see you-" Nico said, voice dropping a little after the words before finishing his sentence, "-babe."

'Goddammit, when will I get used to him calling me that?' I groaned to myself as I let myself in. Shaking my head and the giddiness in my stomach away, I kicked off my shoes and dumped my schoolbag on the ground.

"Mum, I'm home," I called, loosening my school's striped tie and hanging my blazer onto the coat rack by the door. Unlike normal, no response came from the kitchen, and I furrowed my brow in confusion. "Mum?"