Chapter 20

Again, Matt was lying there washed up on the beach under the sun with his surfboard a few feet away from him. He's been hit and thrown back on shore a billion times ever since he stepped his toe in the water. I don't think he's even stood on his board yet after all of this time. I sighed and paddled back to shore, just before another massive wave hit the ground behind me.

"Hey, you okay?" I asked him as I set my board down in the sand. Matt didn't move but groaned, "I didn't know the waves would be this big across the pond." I noticed that his back was all marked up by the hard waves filled with sand and bits of seashells. I grimaced.

"Let's say we take a break. Wanna go back to my place and make smoothies or something?" I asked. Matt still didn't move. He just let the water run back and forth underneath him as he sunk gradually in the wet sand.

"Yeah sure, love," he mumbled and he slowly got up; limb by limb. More and more sand fell off his legs and swimsuit as he stood up taller. He looked so good I couldn't help but smile at him. Everytime I see him I get so excited that I smile. He's makes me so happy. His messy beachy hair flicked up in every direction and his blue eyes were so bright in the sun they looked like diamonds. He gave me a pearly white smile and said, "This is probably the last time I'm going surfing." I laughed, "Of course today was the day the waves decided to be enormous."

"It's just our luck."

"Yeah, I know right."

We trudged in the sand up to my old rusty truck that looked like it would fall apart if you even touched it. So we carefully loaded our surfboards into the trunk and hopped in.

"So you drive here everyday?" Matt asked as I started up my dinosaur.

"Yeah, it's like my secret little surfing spot. It's like my second home. Sometimes I even sleep out here during the summer after I've been surfing all day and I'm just too tired to drive," I explained.

"That must be so nice," Matt sighed, "I'd love to live out here. Maybe I can someday." My heart beat rapidly just at the thought of Matt living here. That meant I could see him everyday and we could hang out all of the time. "Yeah, you should," I said dreamily. My mind traveled off to my own little world as we hopped onto the road down to my house. As we rounded near the corner to my little house, Matt suddenly said, "Jenn, do you want to come listen to my first single on the radio this Saturday?"

I snapped out of my wonderland as his words knocked at my head. A firework of joy blew up inside of me and I squealed, "Yeah! Thank you!" I released my grip off the wheel and threw my arms around him. "Jenn! The wheel!" Matt shouted. Just before I could act, the car swerved madly to the right and straight into a thicket of shrubs and little trees. We bounced around in our seats like Mexican jumping beans but we were firmly held back from our seatbelts. Then just like a birthday surprise, the airbags blew up in our faces. What the heck? This metal scrap on wheels had airbags? I thought. I sat there motionless. I couldn't see anything but just the white airbag smashed up against my face.

"Are you okay?" I heard Matt say; his voice muffled from the airbag.

"Yeah, are you okay?" I replied. I tried to move the airbag away but it was as if my body was glued to the leather seat.

"Yeah, but I can't move," chuckled Matt. I started to laugh to.

"Yeah they should deflate soon...I think." We laughed together for a while and then I heard Matt say, "Hey Jenn?"

"Yeah?" I asked.

"You're crazy and I love you."