[ three ]

| the mission |

n e r v o u s

❝ n e r v o u s ❞

Celeste rubs her head groggily, having been thrown out of the bunk she was napping in as the helicarrier rises out of the water. The room is dark, with the exception of a small window, leaving her struggling to climb to her feet as the flying contraption steadies itself.

Barely twelve hours have passed since Loki got away with stealing Clint and the tesseract, and Celeste had honestly thought she'd have more time to recover before everything was set in motion. Instead, it had taken no time at all to whisk her away to the helicarrier and gather the other alleged heroes, leaving her with only a thirty minute nap that would have to suffice.

Smoothing her hair and clothes, she throws the door open, blinking against the harsh lighting as she steps out into the hallway. People rush past coming from both directions, too busy to take notice of the confused woman.

Struggling to remember where Phil had told her to go once she woke up, she turns left, barely avoiding knocking into anyone.

"You must be the latest recruit," a woman with shockingly red hair calls out, walking briskly towards her with another man in tow. "Clint couldn't stop talking about."

"That's me." Celeste offers a smile and holds out her hand, instantly welcoming a friendly face after being surrounded by so many annoyed and busy ones. "I'm Celeste."

"I'm Natasha," the other woman introduces herself, shaking her hand before gesturing to the man next to her. "And this is Dr. Banner."

"Bruce," he corrects, also shaking Celeste's hand. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

Celeste opens her mouth to respond, but hesitates and let's out a giggle instead. Bruce furrows his eyebrows together, confused as to what joke he had missed.

"I tried to think of something smart to say, but completely blanked," she admits. "Honestly, your work confuses the hell out of me, but I'm sure it's something to be very proud of."

"Thanks?"

"Unfortunately, we'll have to save the chitchat for another time," Natasha interrupts. "I've got to get Doc to his science toys."

"And I need to find Fury," Celeste agrees, waving goodbye to the duo.

Stepping through the doors at the end of the hallway, she finds herself in a highly technological bridge area, with computer screens everywhere she looks and floor to ceiling windows giving her a view of the sky.

"I'm glad you finally decided to join us, Miss Wilson," Nick's voice booms over the other quiet conversations. "Will there be any more unscheduled nap times?"