Chapter 22

Chapter 22 (Not proofread so please ignore any mistakes, I'll edit them all when I've finished the book).

                I looked at my mum in a mixture of shock and discomfort.

                “We’re not even together, it would just be awkward,” I concluded. She sighed, shaking her head and placing the table mat down next to the cutlery. The cooking alarm went off and she snapped back up into her usual perfect posture, checking on the oven. I groaned, leaning on the table, looking at the three plates set out in her usual OCD manner.

                “You’re pretty much there, Kathryn. Besides, it doesn’t have to be a date, I just want to get to know the lad better,” she said, opening the oven and taking out the dish with a tea towel. She looked over her shoulder at my un-amused expression, letting out a sigh. “I can say it’s about Tempest,” she justified after, putting the dish down on the side. I shook my head, fiddling with the edge of the table mat.

                “He’s not going to believe you. He’s not stupid,” I mumbled. Mum shrugged, clearly not bothered.

                “It doesn’t matter because he’s coming over and I’m not about to cancel it,” she sniffed, giving me a sly smile. I rolled my eyes, pushing away from the table to meet him in the yard.

                “I know he’s coming over, you’ve been rubbing it in my face all morning,” I chided, turning towards the steps. She chuckled.

                “Just because I can get a date with the boy you like and I can’t,” she teased. I couldn’t resist the grin as I walked out the door, not answering her. My mum was more like a close friend than she was my mother, which I think is what made getting through everything that little bit easier.

                Eli was over on the fence with Tempest, running his hand along her back. Scrabble had travelled back to Australia the night before and all the horses seemed to be moping. Even Harley refused to move from the fence, watching out into the road when the trailer disappeared down the country lane.

                “Hey,” I said as I approached, swinging myself onto the fence. Tempest ear’s flickered and Eli turned, a small smile on his face. We hadn’t actually talked about the events of the day before, I’d carefully avoided the subject when we’d gone out afterwards and Eli had taken the hint by not asking about it.

                “Alright?” I nodded, glancing at the beautiful bay in front of us. Eli glanced over at her and grinned, patting her flank. She snorted before trotting away, making the ground quake beneath her hooves.

                “Mum’s setting the plates,” I grumbled, looking over at Blue, whose ears were moving with the sounds of the birds as he grazed.

                “Don’t sound so discouraged, you know you want me here,” he teased with a wink, gently nudging my side with his elbow. For once, I didn’t flinch at the unexpected contact, just nudged him back with a small smile.