Eighteen

There was one week before the students' O.W.L's and N.E.W.T's which began in the month of June, so everyone from fifth year and seventh year were busy nonstop and were studying everywhere around the castle. The professors were as busy as ever as well, going over everything they have learned over the year in their lessons. Most students were nervous and were double and triple practicing for their practical parts, many were in the library doing last minute cram sessions. The younger students and the sixth years were less busy and worried but they too felt the tension and nerves in the air that took over the entire castle. They were relieved that they didn't have to go through this stressful time, but were also worried for when the time would arrive the next year.

Since the examinations were in a week, Estelle and Elio decided to both teach during the week together to better help the students prepare and answer any questions. Estelle had been so busy teaching and helping the students she temporarily put aside her hurt feelings and focused on everything besides Severus. She had no time to stay in her room locked up and crying over something so silly. She did not tell Elio what had happened but he had guessed by the end of the day something else had happened. He was furious and wanted to do something but Estelle made him promise to do nothing and instead just focus on helping their students. He grudgingly agreed unhappily, sulking and whispering underneath his breath. Estelle didn't have the energy to argue so she left it be. She didn't have the energy to deal with Elio's anger and her own feelings so instead focused on her work and students, ignoring the storm of thoughts and emotions.

She regretted ingnoring  it though, because just two days later, three days before the examinations, there was scene in front of the Great Hall. Estelle was just on her way to breakfast, slightly puzzled as to why Elio was already gone, when she realized what was happening. Students were surrounding the commotion all whispering and pointing excitedly and nervously. The students were happy to have a distraction to studying so they stayed and watched for something to happen. Estelle got closer, moving out of students' ways to get a better look.

In front of the entrance to the Great Hall stood Elio Beauregard and Severus Snape. Neville Longbottom was off to the side, trying and failing to stop Elio.He was torn between pulling Elio away and staying out of it so he was frozen in place awkwardly fidgeting. Estelle's heart clenched at the sight of Severus, it had been a pretty long time since they had been in the same room and in each others presence. She had been avoiding him for weeks and he too was avoiding her.

They were in the middle of shouting when Estelle arrived so she was slightly confused for a moment but when she heard her name and whispers erupted around her and heads turned towards her, she understood immediately.

"---how dare you hurt her you worthless, death eater git." Roared Elio, pointing his finger to Severus' chest, his eyes ablaze in rage and protection for his only family member. Neville was gripping his other arm trying to pull him away, though it didn't stop him from glaring and throwing dirty looks at Severus.

Severus' lips were in a straight line and his eyes were blank, as if he wasn't really there in the middle of the corridor in the middle of a fight with another Professor. 

"Fight back, or say something, you..you slimy coward!" Elio shouted, fed up with Severus just standing there motionless. This seemed to break him from his indifferent gaze though and he glared at Elio with an icy and venomous look.

"I see no reason to fight or shout at you. I am merely acting like a proper adult and not allowing this ridiculous spat to escalate." He scoffed, offended and annoyed, his anger bubbling up to the surface slowly but surely.

Elio clenched his jaw, "You are a horrible excuse for a man and wizard. My sister deserves more than you a selfish, evil, terrible murderer death eater!" He continued to jab at Severus' chest.