Ch. 4 - A Friend or Two?

A/N: Hey guys, I'm sorry to say there is no drawing for this chapter. It's fine though, because this kind of ended up becoming a filler chapter. I intended for this to be where the battle training starts, but I wrote so much here that that'll be next chapter.

Regardless, enjoy!

[JUNE 2021 UPDATE] This chapter now has art. Check it out :)

----------

"Moving along. Time for the results."

Aizawa pressed a button on his small device, a scoreboard being projected.

Hitomi's silver eyes scanned the board, finding her name in the second column.

I'm in 16th place again... but I passed!

Her eyes fell to the bottom, worry and guilt building as she realized who was in last place.

Izuku Midoriya.

"By the way, I was lying about expelling someone."

WHAT?!

"That was a rational deception, meant to bring out the best in all of you."

Midoriya, Uraraka, and Iida all cried out in disbelief.

Yaoyorozu spoke up. "Well of course it was a lie... it didn't take much to figure that out."

Hitomi could only gape as Aizawa handed Midoriya a note and walked away.

He didn't seem like the type of person to lie about that, not to mention the face he had made when he told them seemed like he was being completely serious.

But thank god... No one's getting expelled!

----------

As Hitomi was walking towards the front gate, she heard a voice calling her name.

"Hitomi!!"

She stopped, turning to find what she had dubbed "a ray of sunshine" running towards her.

"Are you heading to the station?" Kirishima asked once he had caught up.

"Oh, yeah, but only for one stop. I don't live that far away."

"Cool, let's walk together then! I'm heading there too."

Kirishima talked animatedly about their quirk apprehension test as they made their way to the station, commenting on their classmates' amazing quirks when a thought came to Hitomi.

"Hey, Kirishima-san, can I have your number?"

The redhead stopped, both in surprise and from arriving at the train station.

"You really want it?"

Hitomi blushed, not used to initiating friendships since the way she saw it, every friend she'd made was from an extrovert adopting her.

But as she listened to Kirishima talk, and thought about her classmates, she'd realized she needed to change.

She couldn't just be floating through life anymore.

She had to take initiative if she wanted to be a hero.

And taking small steps by making friends on her own felt like the best way to go about it.

Kirishima still awaited a response, staring at Hitomi.

"Ahh, you don't have to give it to me if you don't want to!" Her face turned an even darker shade of red as she looked away. "I just thought, since you said we were friends... we're friends, right...?"