four

On Saturday things turned out to be a bit more hectic than I would've expected them to be.

It was a bit hard to find something to wear, but I ended up choosing to dress casually, quickly decided that wearing heels and a dress would've been as impractical as ridiculous, considering that it wasn't an actual party. Indigo, on the other hand, took it as her chance to wear one of the prettiest dresses the owned, and I didn't say a word even though I knew she would've regretted that choice as soon as the pain from the stilettos she chose to wear would've hit her.

We arrived at Joel's house and we quickly thanked the cab driver before exiting the vehicle right after we paid him with the money we'd put together not to have to walk to our friend's house - more because I pitied Indigo than anything else.

I walked into the house and gave a quick glance around, assessing everyone in the room to find out if I knew everyone as Indigo quickly left my side, and I stopped in my tracks in the second I met a pair of green ones.

I sighed, not exactly having expected him to be there, but at the same time not being surprised by his presence there, considered that lately he seemed to always be around for some reason.

I hadn't even taken a single step into the room when Harry rolled his eyes, having quickly registered my arrival. "What a pleasure to see you again" he said, and I gave him a little glare at the mocking tone of his voice.

"I can hear the sarcasm from here" I replied, my tone matching his, as I took off my black coat and threw it on the back of the couch, quickly making my way to a free spot that was the farthest away possible from him.

He glanced at me as I sat down on the couch directly in front of him. "You're intended to."

I rolled my eyes, ignoring me as he sent me one last glare before looking away. It was clear that he didn't like me at all, and even though I didn't like him that much as well it kind of bothered me. He seemed to always be around after all, and I didn't like to spend time in the presence of someone who seems to hate me.

As the people around us went back to talking I gave him a quick look, scrunching up my nose as I saw him pick at the scraped black nail polish on his fingernails, a pensive look on his face.

"You're staring and it shows, Raine."

My head snapped to the side and I felt a faint blush creep up my cheeks at the thought of having been caught observing the man in front of me, but I couldn't help but be glad that he hadn't been the one catching me. "I don't know what you're talking about" I whispered quickly as I met Indigo's blue eyes, that were worriedly staring at me.

"If you say so" she replied just as gently, leaning back against the back of the couch again. "Anyway, have you heard from Callie? She said she was gonna be here."

I shook my head. "I haven't talked to her since the dinner. Maybe she's just late, though."

"Could be, yeah." She looked away, in silence for a few seconds. "It looks like you aren't the only one staring."

"What do you mean?" I asked her, frowning. I almost turned my head to check as well, but she put her hand on my arm.

"Harry's looking at you" she said, the confused look on his face matching mine. "Raine, please. Stop talking to him so much. After what happened with Theo, I don't want you to find yourself in danger."

I let out a chuckle. "Harry may be a conceited asshole, but I'm quite sure he isn't dangerous."

She sighed. "That's not what I worry about."

I was about to ask her the meaning behind her words, but before I could even open my mouth she stood up, walking away. I observed her as she striked up a conversation with a girl I only knew by name, confusion written all over my face.