Chapter 30: A Very Special Play

After Izzy had got ready - taking around 45 minutes, record if I'm honest - we left for the play.

The younger years had prepared a scripted production of Romeo and Juliet, and seeing as we both love it so much, it was definitely a must see.

"The play isn't for another thirty minutes!" Izzy cried, her stomach grumbling along with my own. "What if this beast can't be tamed during the play!?"

"Oh so dramatic," I smirked. "I have to be early because I'm the drama teacher. Plus, I'm sure you can wait another hour and a half." I tossed a bag of crisps at her that I had stashed in the side of my door earlier.

"Maybe, we'll see." She whispered as she popped open the bag. "Come to mummy." I let out a hushed laugh, pulling into the school driveway.

"If you go off and chat to others, I'll be in the back preparing everything." I smiled nervously, fiddling with my grey suit. We walk up to the entrance of the school and I left her beside the reception, a few familiar faces passing down the hall. This was going to be fun.

-

~ Izzy's P.O.V ~

"I have to go!" I laughed, patting John on the shoulder. He nodded, following a few people out of the building.

I began walking towards the hall, looking for Sam. The play was about to begin and he was out of sight, where could he be? I thought to myself.

"The show is about to begin," a young voice yelled down the mic. I looked around for a seat - the last two at the front near the middle aisle. The lights began to lower around us, smooth music humming behind the curtains.

* * *

An hour had passed from the small production of Romeo and Juliet, the actor stood with his hands up Juliets chest with tears bursting out of his reddening eyes. It was a beautiful performance. "O true apothecary! Thy drugs are quick. Thus with a kiss I die." He said in a weary tone, falling faintly upon Juliet's wakening body. She lets out a small gasp of devastation, tears pricking her eyes - she attempts to shake the vial of poison into her own mouth, only to find there's not enough to end her woes. In her moment of sorrow, she lifts Romeo's dagger, jamming it into her side forcefully.

I let a loose tear slide down my face as I grasped hold of a tissue and rubbed my snotty nose awkwardly. I hope nobody saw that.

"BRAVO!" Yelled the elderly man sat two seats behind me. I let out a small laugh, jumping to my own feet and clapping harshly. I could feel my hands becoming sore. I brought my fingers to my mouth and whistled playfully as Sam walked on stage. I was wondering where he had been.

"Thank you!" He smiled. The cast stood beside him, linking their arms around one another. "This play was planned for a reason." He began. "The children were very eager to be a part of a special plan. This was a special, brilliantly performed, play."

He leant forward, his hand streched out towards me. I stared for a moment, unsure of his gesture. "Come on stage, Isabel." He smiled.

I stood up, pulling my dress down and smiling slightly. I walked around the spiral steps until I was stood on stage in front of Sam. "Hi," I whispered. "I thought you were going to watch the play with me?" I questioned.

"I know." He smiled sheepishly. The audience began to clap as a younger boy stepped onto the stage with roses resting in his arms. He smiled up at me, his blue eyes gleaming.

"These are for you," He mumbled. He pulled them forward, placing them in front of my face with a grin upon his rosy cheeks.

"Me?" I looked up at Sam.

"Yes." Sam laughed. "Isabel," he said, getting down on one knee. "It's been a wild few months with you, I know I haven't always been the nicest guy - never standing up to the girls that bullied you in highschool. I hadn't realised how much you meant to me until I came to work here. It's been nearly two months since we've been together." He paused, winking at me and whispering 8 months under his breath - we were surrounded by teachers that could get him done for being with a student. I smiled down at him. "You are the best thing that has happened to me, and I swear I'll protect and care for you until we are parted through death - the only time I'll physically leave your side."

He pulled out a small, cream box from his pocket and opened up the case. "Isabel Green, will you do the honor of becoming my wife?" His eyes gleamed eagerly.

I couldn't get the words to leave me mouth. I was stunned, speechless in fact. I felt the tears pricking at my eyes as the choir from the play hummed a gentle melody behind us. I laughed slightly, putting my hand out towards Sam. He placed the ring upon my finger and stood up, pulling me into his warm embrace. The tears sprung from my eyes as I began to nod, yelling yes at the top of my lungs over the sound of enthusiastic claps.

"I love you, Sam." I cried against his shoulder.

"And I love you, Mrs Carter." He laughed.

"Mrs Isabel Carter," I whispered. "I like that."