013. to track or not to track

› CHAPTER THIRTEEN ‹

Raleigh considered the possibility of smashing his head through the side of the school bus, thanks to Flash talking obnoxiously about how he was going to win the Nationals cup, but he knew that wouldn't fix his current annoyance and in the end, would only give him a splitting headache. Cindy Moon was standing in front of Raleigh and attempting to talk to him, but with her much softer voice compared to Flash's rough one, he was having a hard time focusing on her questions. It didn't help that Raleigh's mind was bogged down with other problems.

Peter messaged Raleigh around ten last night explaining that the men had stopped somewhere in Maryland and when Raleigh text him back asking for more details and what the plan was, he didn't receive anything back. He had even pulled out Ned's number and asked him what was happening—but to no surprise, he received nothing back. Even now, with Ned only a few steps away from Raleigh, the boy was making it clear he wasn't going to say anything to him.

"Hey, it's Peter." Abe suddenly said and Raleigh's attention left Cindy as his head snapped in the direction of where Abe was looking. Just as the boy said, Peter was right in front of them.

"Guys..." He stopped in front of Liz. "Yeah, I was hoping maybe I could rejoin the team."

Suddenly Raleigh was pushed to the side as Flash marched up towards Peter. "No, no way. You can't quit on us, stroll up and be welcomed back by everyone."

"Normally I would agree," Raleigh spoke up, "but only because you've been annoying me for the last fifteen minutes, I want to disagree with you." Flash turned to him with narrowed eyes. "So I don't agree with you."

Mr. Harrington walked off the bus and smiled when he saw Peter. "Hey, welcome back, Peter!" He looked to Flash. "Flash, you're back to first alternate."

"What?"

Abe and the others laughed. "He's taking your place."

"Ooh," Raleigh rounded around Flash, "don't worry, I'm sure we'll win the cup without you."

Just when Raleigh was sure Flash was going to take his aggravation out on him, Michelle walked forward. "Excuse me, can we go already, because I was hoping to get in some light protesting in front of one of the embassies before dinner."

"Protesting in patriotic. Let's get on the bus."

Raleigh moved out of the way before Flash could throw his school Decathlon jacket at him. It was meant for Peter anyway, and Raleigh wasn't in any mood to protect the spider-boy. He heard the sound of material slapping against skin and a smirk covered his lips as he hopped onto the school bus. He was quickly followed by Liz and the others.

While Liz had made it clear that they were going to practice for a big portion of the bus ride to D.C., Raleigh had opted out of the practice, explaining he wasn't feeling good and wanted to rest. Liz had sympathized with him and allowed him to wallow in the back of the bus. He had ignored Peter's gaze on him as he sunk into the bus seat. He even ignored Ned, who cautiously took the seat in front of him.