Best Friends

This is short and random because I'm soft as a melted marshmallow with the content we were getting. (Typed randomly on my phone)

*****

It was just like any other nights in the lake house; but those other nights are uniquely different from each other that was why he had looked always looked forward in spending his time there.

In some days, it would only be him and her family; then her family friends would join them. That weekend however, Tricia and Amari joined their little getaway. Even then, there was only one constant thing.

Laughter and the continuing buzz of conversation resonated through the air, together with the cracking of firewood and the familiar stillness that had always settled on the lake. They were around the bonfire, still in their bathing suits and trunks, making s’mores by the fire.

It happened rarely, but Sean realized he had missed Kaycee disappearing from the group. Abandoning his s'mores by the fire, he stood up and dusted his swimming trunks before going back inside the house without letting the others know, wondering where she could be.

He was about to head to her room upstairs, when he noticed her little head by the couch in front of the fireplace alone. Smiling, he headed up to her, silently thanking the heavens for an alone time.

“Hey,” he called softly and sunk himself on the couch beside her.

Kaycee looked up at him with his favorite smile, looking freshly showered with her wet curls, clad in an oversized shirt and shorts, cozily seated with her knees up against her chest. There were laughter dancing in her eyes, as if she had been laughing at something for sometime now.

“Hey,” her voice was sweet, and she easily melted into his warmth as Sean let her lean her body on his, his arm running along the backrest of the couch.

With him half-naked and them cuddled up like that, one would really think otherwise about the friendship that they have. But honestly? He never really cared about what other people thought, even if it is his main goal is to protect his best friend from the world’s harsh words.

“What are you up to?” he asked, nodding at her phone at her hands. “Some new crazy, funny edit about us?” he asked, chuckling a little.

“No, not really,” Kaycee said, amused. “I’m just reading a thread about how I’m constantly friend-zoning you. Or how we friend-zone each other by calling each other best friends. Like, what do they really expect us to tell them?” she asked, shaking her head.

Sean threw his head back in laughter and snuggled closer to her. 

“So what are you stressing about? I mean, let them think what they want about us, Kayc. At least you know who we are to each other,” he smiled at her.

“Yeah, I know. It’s just kinda funny how they bounce ideas about our friendship. I mean it’s not some kind of calculus set,” she giggled. “If only they knew what this friendship means to us.”

“We did our best to tell them,” Sean said, giving her a dimpled smile.

For Sean and Kaycee, the term best friend isn’t just a title they would give away to someone just because they spend a lot of time together and knew each other like the back of their hands – quirks, insecurities, dreams and all. Bailey, whom she spends time regularly is Kaycee’s bronk bestie. Tahani, whom Kaycee knew the longest is her sis. Even Josh and Julian, whom Sean knew who would have his back no matter what, didn’t have the honor of being called his best friends in public; they are simply his brothers.

But there is only one best friend for Sean and Kaycee, and that’s each other. Best friend is something sure and serious, just like how I love yous are, and not something carelessly thrown away. They knew –and are confident– that they love each other, and yet they chose to show it through their stares, those lingering touches, to their care and support to each other. Because when the time comes for them to finally say those words, it would seal the deal.

Sean brought up his forearm and rested his hand on the side of her head, before kissing her temple affectionately as he drew her near. Kaycee closed her eyes and smiled in content, and after a while she looked up to him, staring at his orbs that turned into amber with the fire reflecting in his irises. And she leaned up and pressed her lips on his cheek.

These are their favorite moments. Sure they goof around each other a lot, make puns, have mini role-plays like four-year-olds, endlessly teasing and mocking each other and Sean casually lifting Kaycee in different positions and stunts when they walk around each others' houses, and though they all enjoyed that, these have to be their favorite.

Comfortable silence, wordless communication, loved up gazes, kisses.

Though they’ve only kissed thrice in their lifetime. The first was when they finally had a final piece for the Cut; they were panting after they finished the routine, had imagined there was a light bulb hanging between them, before their gazes fell onto each other, and Sean took the courage to come up to her and capture her lips in a small kiss. The second was when they were in Hawaii for her birthday; he invited her out for a walk along the shore and waited for midnight before he wished her a happy birthday with a kiss. And she returned it when it was his birthday when she stayed over at his house.

But no, they didn’t regret it one bit. It may be complicated to some, but for them it was easy. They decided to wait until together they are ready and more mature to handle things. This wouldn’t always be easy, and they wanted it to last.

And if the time comes when they would add another title for each other –boyfriend, girlfriend and whatnot, they would be at peace to know that the foundation of their relationship is strong. That even when they move on to another level of their relationship, they would still be each other’s best friends.

And nothing can change that.
.
.
.
“Uhm…” Tricia started, eyebrow quirked with a smirk on her lips, looking at Brad and Laura for answers. Without really asking them, she knew they had to know what she was asking about.

They were on their way to the kitchen when they saw both teens on the couch by the fireplace, Kaycee’s head on his shoulder, and his head on hers, his arm wrapped around her shoulders.

Laura shrugged. “They’re best friends,” she whispered, with a subtle wink.

Brad shrugged, too. “As of now.”