Side Story: An Unexpected Addition

Kate tossed and turned before she finally gave up on trying to sleep. It was already past midnight, but for some reason sleep refused to claim her. 

Sighing slightly, she removed herself from under the blanket, figuring that if she was unable to sleep then she might as well do something else to keep herself preoccupied. Picking up a few textbooks, Kate opened her bedroom door and quietly made her way down the stairs, pausing at the entrance to the kitchen.

The lights inside were on.

With their parents gone, Kennedy was the only other person around, but usually she was very busy balancing school and work, so she was rarely home. 

Sometimes Kate wondered whether Kennedy was avoiding her. 

"She's probably just busy." Kate thought as she shook her head slightly. "Thinking like that is ungrateful, especially with how she-" 

Kate took a deep breathe and placed her hand on the kitchen door, pushing it open.

Kennedy sat at the dinner table, her head resting on the palm of her hands. In front of her sat an untouched bottle of alcohol.

Kate unconsciously held her breathe as she quietly approached her sister. There was this solemn air that surrounded her, it was almost stifling. 

"Kennedy," Kate called out softly. "Why are you....are...are you okay?"

To Kate, Kennedy appeared tense. 

Instead of answering Kennedy reached out for the bottle of alcohol that sat in front of her. She clenched her fingers around the bottle several times, she seemed to be having an internal struggle.

Kate walked up to the dinning table, setting down her textbooks before turning her full attention onto Kennedy.

"Is there something bothering you? Do you want to talk about it? I'm all ears." 

For the first time since Kate entered the room, Kennedy turned to face her. Kennedy's eye's were slightly red.

Kate's eyes widened as she took in her sister's state. Reaching out, she gently placed her hand on Kennedy's face in an attempt to wipe away her tears, but Kennedy grimaced and shifted her head away, causing Kate to awkwardly retract her hand.

"I'm fine." Kate sighed as she wiped away her tears.

"But you were crying." 

"I said I'm fine." Kennedy said forcefully as she stood from her seat, almost knocking her chair over in the process.

Not wanting to upset her sister further, Kate watched silently as Kennedy picked up the bottle of alcohol and walked over to the cupboard where she placed it inside. Kennedy then picked up a sponge and began wiping down the counter top.

Following her sister's example, Kate walked over to the sink and grabbed a sponge, she intended to wash the remaining dishes in the sink.

"Kate what are you doing?"

"I'm helping you clean." Kate answered with a forced smile.

"It's late, you should be in bed." Kennedy said as she grabbed the sponge from Kate's hand. "Don't you have school tomorrow?" 

"I do." Kate sighed, "But I can't sleep."

"Did you try counting sheep?"

"I did."

"Then try again." Kennedy replied briskly. "What are you going to do if you fall asleep in class?"

"I won't" Kate replied softly.

"Just go back to bed Kate, I don't need your help." Kennedy then turned around and resumed wiping down the counter.

Kate took a deep breathe as she tried to hold in her tears, several excuses for her sister's behavior began clouding her mind. She wanted to believe that Kennedy was looking out for her; that she was just worried about her not getting enough sleep, or maybe Kennedy just wanted some alone time. 

Any excuse would do, as long as it didn't suggest that her sister hated her.

"Are you crying Kate?" Kennedy asked bewildered. 

Kate bit her lip and hurriedly looked away, she suddenly felt very embarrassed. 

"I'm not."

"Why are you crying?" 

Not receiving a response from Kate, Kennedy sighed and said, "Sometimes I don't understand you."

"...What?"

Kennedy sighed as she ran her hand through her hair, "I don't know what to say to you or how to help you. I mean I know I'm not the best mother figure, or any adult figure, I'm barely an adult myself. I just.... I want to help you, but I always seem to make you feel sad instead. "

".....Kennedy."

"I'm trying my best but is it good enough? I thought that we would be fine on our own, after all we were always alone, but things aren't turning out like their supposed to." 

"That's why you have to let me help you Kennedy!" Kate exclaimed. "Let me help you."

"You can't help me with this." Kennedy said softly. "You're still a child."

Kate paused slightly, "I won't always be."

Kennedy sighed as she sat back down at the dinner table, she looked conflicted.

"Kennedy?" 

"I think.. I might be pregnant."