Chapter 24; detached

This story is now at 100,000 words. Isn't that crazy? Happy reading!

* * *

They were escorted from the tribe as soon as the sun rose the next day. Bona's hug of farewell had been bone crushing and Alice felt a slight pang of sadness shoot through her as they left. After all, they had helped her a lot. Surprisingly, they were met with no resistance outside of the tribe's borders. Alice still felt the creatures lurking in the shadows, watching as they departed with twenty warriors, but she had a feeling it was more to do with the fact that they were leaving rather than entering.

A day later, they were at the airport in Houston where Tom waited. Alice had breathed in the fresh and much cooler air as if she was starved for it. Despite the Lycans, her demonic father and the batshit crazy Lycan king, America was her home. Heck, she had practically lived in every state with the escaping she had to do.

"What's got you so riled up, pumpkin?" Colden brought her attention to their surroundings. Heavy bags surrounded his eyes and his hair had seen better days, but still, the sight of his beaming smile managed to take her breath away. To think that they had gone from barely being able to talk to this in a few weeks was exhilarating. It filled her with an ounce of hope that maybe luck was on her side. And she'd definitely need that if she were to face Lucien.

"Just the thought of a long cold shower when we get back," Alice replied wrily. The task Hades had placed on her still weighed heavily on her shoulders but the flight had given her some time to strategize and think. It wasn't as daunting, the thought of taking him on. She'd do it no matter what to keep them safe. And to finally have some peace and quiet that she very much deserved.

"And nothing else?" His eyes smouldered as his voice dropped. His scent of musky rain wafted up to her nose in a tantalising manner, drawing her further in than she already was. Briefly, the thought that she had only wanted to be friends came to mind but she pushed it away. He was her soul mate and according to Hades, Diana hadn't made a mistake. 

Alice scooted closer to the door of the ranger rover, scowling at the Alpha. Tom raised his eyebrows at her in the rearview mirror as Colden let out a hearty chuckle but dropped the subject, seemingly in a better mood now that they were back home. She had noticed that ever since she had told him partly what she had learnt, he was far more relaxed. Alice felt slightly guilty for omitting the small truths but sometimes, that was better than being honest. He didn't deserve the stress and Hades' warning rang clear in her mind.

Over the next week, they had settled into a routine. Colden and Tom were nearly gone every day, setting up treaties with packs in Mexico and checking in on the wolves in the other states, whereas Alice was left to focus on her worries; how exactly she was going to get away from Colden, nevermind the question of what she would do after. The thought brought a cold sweat over her body but it was inevitable, she knew. Even Belle had sensed that something was wrong and she had taken time each day to train with her. Yet there was a deep sadness within the female and she had a feeling the exercise was more to help her focus on something other than the mate she left in Austria. Alice never dared to broach the subject in case it upset her.

They had been back for eight days now and there was still no sign of Lucien. Ever since his most recent attack nearly two weeks ago, he had been silent. Alice wasn't even sure he had noticed the fact that they left the country which made her more nervous than the times he made his presence known. Currently, Alice was perched in one of the main living areas with a few pack members, watching as the children played a board game. Belle claimed it would help them trust her but she could still see the memory of the night they had come here. Alice didn't blame them for their hesitance. Over twenty warriors had died in her name and she hadn't exactly been grateful before that.