C H A P T E R 16

Xander.

"When is my next schedule?" I asked my new personal assistant who was on the other end of the line.

"Sir, you have to see the kids at the orphanage at 4pm and that will be all for the day." Thank God!

"Ok, did Bri clear her cheque?"

"Who, sir?"

"Bri. I mean my twin sister, miss Reynolds."

"Yes, she did. Not herself though. Her assistant, Jerry did."

"Ok, thanks. I'd be stepping out in a few. You can leave afterwards."

"Oh, thank you, sir." She replied and I ended the call.

'It's time. Get ready. Robert will be home to pick you.' I sent the message to Nichole.

'Ok.' She replied the message which brought a smile to my face. I really can't believe how much of good friends we've become. She is a nice girl. I find myself getting drawn to her.

I almost can't believe that she forgave me like she did. Despite all my rude utterances in anger, she still forgave me and since then, our distance keeps lessening. Acting like the ideal couple publicly became natural. We didn't have to worry much about one of us saying a different thing from the other because we rehearse our lines before we go.

Silly, right?

I know.

But that is the least of the silliest things we do.

We've become really close and do the darndest of things together like dancing on the chair, eating with our hands, making my own food and other things like that and I must say that I love this new phase in my life.

Everyday, I look forward to going back home just to see my wife. My wife. Hired or not, she's mine.

We share things with each other. I find myself discussing things I'd normally not discuss with anybody with her. We go to outings together like the ideal couple everyone expects us to be. We sleep in the same room but nothing happens between us. I even wonder how I hold up. I'm a man.

We've learnt quite alot about each other and we suprisingly share similar interests in most things. Favorite food, love for sports, love for nature and a whole lot.

Today, I'd be going with her to the orphanage to see the children. It's been a while since I saw them and besides, their orphanage's anniversary in three days but by then, I'd have gone to Germany to meet some of our foreign investors.

When I told nichole about what I do for the kids monthly, she was so impressed. She loves children. She was so excited to meet them that she went on a shopping spree to get each of them presents. I don't know why but when she said that she loves children, it brought immense joy to my heart.

Lara always used to say that she never wanted to have a child because it's a whole lot of responsibility and besides, she wanted to keep her figure in shape. When she had told me, I was disappointed but for the love I thought we shared, I decided to let it go.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

"No, baby. We'd have to go. I'd come back soon, I promise." Nichole cooed while putting miley to sleep. She has refused to let go of Nichole since we came here. She's gotten so attached to her in just a few hours.

Nichole taught the kids new games, played their games with them and even danced with them. It was such a beautiful sight to watch. She even rolled her body on the grass with them. It was indeed a sight to behold.

We gifted the kids with so many toys and presents. They kept giving us kisses. I love children. The kids love Nichole too.

"Yes, Miley. We'd come back, baby. I promise."

"Pinky pwomise?" She pouted whilst putting her pinky finger out. I smiled and entwined my pinky with hers.

"Pinky promise." I responded smiling and she hugged me tightly. I wrap my hands around her small frame.

"Ok, kids. Time to say goodbye to Xander and Nichole." Their matron announced and they all pouted. How cute.

"Bye." They all chorused and waved. Nichole went over and placed a kiss on both of their cheeks and I did the same.

Just when we were about to leave, Miley ran up to me and whispered in my ear.

"Your wife is wery butuful. I like her." Causing a bright smile to appear on my face. I kissed her temple and she ran back inside. I just chuckled. I like her too.

"You seem like you really liked the children?" I asked on the way back home.

"Like? Ofcourse not, I don't like them." Causing me to stare at her. She smiled and continued.

"I love them. They are so so cute." My smile reappeared.

"You know I also love kids. Those kids remind me of my childhood with my mother. She never had time for us nor gave us any importance. It was always work for her. If not for dad and grandma who always spared time for Bri and me, I feel there could be no difference between the kids and me."

I looked over at her and she gave me a sympathetic smile and gave my hand a small squeeze but then I noticed something.

She herself looks sad, probably more than me. I looked back to the road but couldn't stop the next question that came to mind as we pulled into the driveway few minutes after.

"By the way, Nichole. You haven't told me anything about your mum. Where does she stay?"

No response.

"Its okay if you don't want to talk about it. I'd understand."

No response.

"Nichole?" No response yet again. I looked over at her only to realise that she was fast asleep. I got out from my side of the car and picked her up bridal style and took her inside.

"What's wrong with her?" Maria asked looking concerned.

"Nothing, she's just tired. I'll just take her to our room."

"Ok, should I serve you dinner?"

"No, no. Maria. I'm fine and besides, we already ate with the kids. Thank you."

"Ok, good night."

"Good night, Maria." I responded as I made my way up the stairs.

After placing her on the bed, I helped her in removing her sandals and accessories. I adjusted her properly and placed the blanket over her.

I couldn't help it. I placed a chaste kiss on her lips.

What are you doing to me, nichole?

Love,
Fateehat.

11-05-2019.