Chapter 27: First day of the soiree

Riley.

Everything had moved like clockwork: Agnes, Edna and Mellie had helped me get dressed into one of my fancier white dresses

Everything had moved like clockwork: Agnes, Edna and Mellie had helped me get dressed into one of my fancier white dresses. They had done my hair and fixed my makeup. My trunks were taken down to the carriage by Auberon and Rudyard. Then suddenly I found myself waving goodbye to Everyone as Agnes, Edna and I embarked on our trip to the Von Esterheim castle.

The Von Esterheim's lived a few miles north of the castle, so on the journey, I really enjoyed watching the lush green hills and clear blue skies pass me by. The family lived on much higher ground than the Royal palace and the rest of Gismead, so from their perch they had magnificent views of the city, the forest, and the sea.

And what an incredible perch it was. Just from spotting their castle from far away, I could see the difference in wealth between me and them. Even though they were first rank nobles like Alice, their castle was bigger than the Marcellus's and much bigger than mine. It still wasn't as big as the Royal palace but was closer in size to the palace than a noble mansion.

Their castle was made of white stone, so I could see it glistening in the morning light from far away. It was so eerily beautiful and in complete contrast to the green fields that surrounded it. like a giant ice castle amidst the green hills. I only marvelled at it more, the closer we got to it.

It was quite literally out of a fairy tale. Its tens of beautiful tall towers made me swoon, I couldn't imagine the type of views those towers had, even though we were about to ride onto their property it seemed surreal to me. It was just so out of this world. As we got closer I saw that there was a lake on one side of the castle, the still water spanned quite a distance, only disappearing behind one of the hills in the far distance. Some of the castle seemed to be built on the lake, with a few towers overlooking the water. I imagined them going swimming or paddling in the lake and having the best time just living in that castle.

They had a large circular driveway that the carriages rode into to drop off the nobles inside. All the carriages were also beautiful, they had intricate designs of silver and gold, and very fancily dressed people stepped out of them - I was almost blinded by the sight of the large jewels they wore, but I smiled happily when I saw Dimitri stepping out of one, I was glad to have somebody I could go and talk to.

Then my carriage pulled up along with all the others, and a butler dressed in a white suit came to give me his hand as I stepped out of the carriage, I smiled when I realised that his uniform matched the colour of the castle.

"Riley, over here!" I heard someone call. I turned to see a beaming Alice waving at me. She had a sweet smile on her beautiful face, that made her look even prettier than usual. Her pink hair was done up in an intricate braid, and she had some blush on her cheeks with a rosy tint to her lips. She wore a gorgeous pink gown. It was light and loose and perfect for a flowering morning like this one, and it matched her light pink hair.