Chapter 38

The Moon Goddess sipped her rosé with the smallest smirk on her face as her mate circled the viewing sphere speechlessly

While he was baffled, she was utterly pleased with the scene they were witnessing.

The great Alpha Alrik Kuznetsov had finally fallen to his knees.

He had been in a downward spiral for the past few days, ever since his valiant Luna took the fall to show him his faults, and so she had been waiting for this moment for eons.

"What did you do?" Her mate whispered, tracing the wound on Jaslynn's neck through the sphere with his fingertips, "You–you really removed her mark?"

"I did," the Moon Goddess nodded, eyeing his reaction carefully, "It needed to be done."

"Why? You put her through even more pain. She doesn't deserve that," her mate chided, thoroughly upset with Jaslynn's state of being.

The Moon Goddess shook her head, "I removed her mark to save her, my love. Not to hurt her. Jaslynn may have a powerful mindset, but her physicality is not as strong. The heat would have annihilated her, and she would have been a corpse dangling in those chains, a rotting symbol of what ensues when greed demolishes the mind."

"And Alpha Alrik? Do you think this has changed him?"

The Moon Goddess stood up and approached the viewing sphere slowly, her eyes drawn to the tearful Alpha.

"He's been changing for the better every day. This was just the final measure I needed to make sure he never goes back to his old ways."

She chuckled softly and started circling the sphere, running her finger along its circumference, "It's a win-win situation honestly. Jaslynn is saved and Alrik is changed. It does not get better than this."

Her mate was silent, and she turned to peer at the torn expression on his face.

"Don't look so upset, my love. I know you liked them as a couple. If Jaslynn allows him to, he will be able to mark her again, and this time because she wants it not because she is dying," she said, consoling him briefly before muttering, "Although whether she will forgive him or not is up to her, I will not force her to stay if she doesn't want to."

Her mate sighed softly, and they gazed in silence as the broken Alpha clutched his Luna to his chest, unaware of his surroundings or actions.