Epilogue

Jza slept through the entire carriage ride and only awoke when she was gently tapped on the nose. The Princess blinked awake to the sight of the castle looming above the large carriage. She rubbed her face and gave Tarquin an exasperated look as if preparing herself for the nonsensical behaviour they were bound to encounter.

The girl gingerly stepped out of the golden carriage with her husband's support. She walked into the castle entrance remembering the last they had both been there. Her brown, intelligent eyes lingered over the changes made over the years.

"Y-your Highness," The young man assigned to them stammered. His gaze flipped back and forth over the pair who wore humble clothing but looked like they were merely play acting the part, "The King's private counsel has already started!"

"We were unfortunately diverted on the way here," Jza spoke with a reassuring smile. The younger man's eyes were fixed on her husband now. She hoped Tarquin was not glowering at him into submission. He had a tendency to be insufferable to anyone he deemed incompetent.

The younger man bowed again, nearly tripping over his feet, and frantically led them through the long corridors until they reached the King's study. Jza smiled at her husband recalling the time she had nearly killed a man within those walls.

They were announced into the room which was filled to the brim with people. Her father sat on his desk surrounded by papers and advisors while her stepmothers, sisters and their respective families sat on various chairs placed at the ends of the room. No one acknowledged their entering bow except the King who nodded with a pleased smile.

"My husband is brave and fair. His serfs all adore his presence. He deserves the throne!" Jza's third eldest sister, Jemima, proclaimed, heatedly, not pausing for the new arrivals.

"My husband will bring important connections. He is a northern noble. The most powerful of them all," Was Jasmine's stance. She had been the first out of her sisters to find herself a husband. Apparently this noble husband had many virtues including a stash of gold coins.

"What say you, Jza. What merits does your husband bring?" King Samuel asked indulgently. Suddenly all eyes were upon the couple who were dressed in modest outfits. Jza's own hands had sown the beloved pieces they wore but she knew in the smattering of gold, jewels and feathers they were not better dressed then any servant of the palace.

"Is that wise father? To have us in the running?" The girl asked with an unflinching stare. She had gained a certain confidence over the scant amount of years no one had thought possible.

"Why not?" Her father asked with a small smile gracing his features.

"Father," Jza returned his amused look, "You know of me quite well. I feel like I need not elaborate any further. I trust you will judge us fairly."

"Why won't you tell us what your husband has to offer," Rosalinda peered up from her perch on the sofa on their left. Her blue feather adorned dress matched her vibrant eyes. Beside her sat her mother who had same pinched look she always had when Jza was in the room.

"Our father knows I chose my husband with the deepest of affection. My recommendation should be enough," The thirteenth Princess answered with mirth dripping in her speech.

"You will not introduce him?" Gabrielle asked cautiously. She was young yet and unmarried. She wore a white lace cap to match her dress.

"Not in the slightest."

"Scared he might be wooed by the twelve famous beauties?" Jemima her most ardent foe said most acerbically. She clung to her husband like a vice. Her long fingers dug deep into the man's arm who looked uncomfortable as perspiration ran down his forehead.