Chapter Twenty-Three

Kains staring made me uncomfortable. A few wolves had come and attempted to speak to the Alpha but he had shushed them and sent them away. Ellis had even come by but after seeing Lyric cuddled up next to me he too had left.

The young pup must have been exhausted. The moment her eyes had closed she was like led. I raised my head and looked at her sleeping face, licking her small cheek.

"She doesn't know yet." Kain's voice shocked me from my thoughts. I looked over to him confused until I saw the distraught look come over the males' face. "I don't know how to tell her."

My heart clenched. Lily, his mate. "They were close, and Lyric was excited to have a big sister." Kain was rambling, and I suddenly felt a tension fill the air. Kains eyes met mine and they flashed a deep amber. His wolf was back at the surface and the tension became stifling. "What are you planning to do with my sister?"

I looked at Kain confused, and realized that I was suddenly a threat. Whatever the male had been stewing over in his head for the last two hours seemed to have concluded that I was going to do harm.

I growled a warning as Kain stood up. "Even being in a room covered in my scent, I can still smell that dog on you. Did you enjoy what he did?" I snarled at the male. "Did you do it to piss me off?"

"Kain!" My eyes stayed glued to the male standing at the doorway. Lyric had started to stir and I wasn't sure if Kain even saw the small child anymore. His eyes were filled with unrestrained rage. A male about the same size as Kain came up behind him.

"Kain, snap out of it." The large male growled at the Alpha, placing his hands on his shoulder. Kain made no indication that he heard the other male. His eyes stayed trained on me.

"Get away from her." It was a threat. I could feel his anger fill my small room. Lyric sat up rubbing her eyes. I gently nudged her so I could stand and put myself between the angry wolf and the child. Something wasn't right.

"Kain!" This time it was Ellis's voice. "Stop this, you are going to scare your sister." It was a soft plea.

"Candy?" The small voice of Lyric rang out, questioning what was going on, voice still groggy with sleep.

"You are going to let them kill her like you did Lily, aren't you!" There was a small gasp and in a fluid motion, Kain was pinned into the ground by the large male behind him.

"Kain!" The booming voice bellowed out and when Kain only growled back the male brought his fist up and punched him across the jaw.

"Father stop!" Lyrics' voice screamed out and she ran from behind me only for Ellis to catch her. "Let me go!"

Kain was still being punched and I wasn't sure what to make of the crazed situation.

"Thorn stop! He should be fine now. Ben!" Ellis shouted for the male and soon Ben, Basil and Orion were all pulling the male named Thorn off of Kain.

The Alpha barely looked phased as he sat up with a bloodied nose and bruised cheek. He didn't say anything as he slowly stood and walked away. Ben let go of Thorn and directed for the other two to stay behind as he followed his Alpha.

"That pup, I'm going to skin him! Did you see him just walk away from me like I barely hit him?" Thorn looked more furious at the lack of response over the reason why he hit the other male.

Lyric was wailing, tears streaming down her face as she fought Ellis. "Daddy let me go, Kain! Kain!"

"Lyric calm down, Kain needs his space." Ellis struggled to keep Lyric from jumping out of his arms. Thorn stepped over to the two, seemingly to aid Ellis in settling The small girl.