Chapter 10

To Fang, any day that doesn't end in death was a good one. Then again, he had plenty of close calls that involved party balloons and high velocity cement. Maybe that was a stretch, but then again, common sense no longer served its purpose in space. The next thing you know someone could make water unwet.

The abandoned mansion was as deserted as ever, but it wasn't unpopulated. There were whispers of footsteps and the wisps of breathing, all indicating that this haunted manor had a new resident.

Or maybe more.

Slipping close to the perimeter, he dodged shadows and hints of light. He had lived here for two years, and he knew this place's routes like the back of his palm. It was where he resided after coming to earth for the first time, after all. It was his safe haven.

The trees and bushes remained withered and wilted, all discarded in the passage of time. However, there was something that wasn't quite right. They looked deader than dead. Their branches weren't supposed to be blackened, their leaves unnaturally grey.

He wasn't an expert in botany, but he knew well enough that earth flora wasn't supposed to share such a characteristic.

"He's gone forever..."

"I know, you dork."

"I'll miss him..."

Fang shrouded himself in shadows, avoiding all attention. They were the same voices, but different owners and perspectives. He only knew one move that shared the equivalent of the traits.

His eyes fell on three figures at the front of the mansion, where there was a clearing that he and Boboiboy once sparred. They all shared silver hair and pale skin, but the similarities ended there. One of them was wearing an oversized sweater the colour of toxic green. The other was wearing a white sleeveless turtleneck and a choker. The final one, who stood between them and seemed to be the leader, was wearing a black shirt with jeans.

Reverse can split too?

Fang studied their attributes. The green one had eyes that resembled poison. The white one had storm grey eyes. The leader had dark purple eyes. All of them wore equally expressive emotions, whether it be false innocence or annoyance, it was clear as night and day.

"You better have a good excuse for coming out," said the leader, glaring at the green male.

"I just wanted to say I'll miss Thorn. He's so cute and he gets scared so easily!" the green boy sulked. "I haven't even tasted his blood yet!"

"Here we go again," the white male groaned. "You do realize all of them are the same person, right? They don't have a conscious like we do."

"No fun," the green equivalent of him pouted. He and his white counterpart returned to the leader in a flash of red.

Reverse rolled his eyes to no one in particular.

Fang's hand brushed against the tree trunk. It seemed brighter than usual, as if the life was being restored.

What was that?

A hand cinched his shoulder. Yelping like a girl, he shrieked and scrambled from the culprit.

"Jesus," Reverse cursed, shoving his hand into his jacket pocket. "What the fuck is wrong with you? From what B said, I thought you'd be more courageous." He pursed his lip in thought. "Then again, it was four years ago."

Fang glared, face flushed red. "What was that? You can split yourself into three like Boboiboy did? Care to explain? Why did you steal everyone's powers?"

Reverse tutted, shaking his finger in dismissal. "Remember the deal, pretty boy. You want an answer, you'll have to tell me something about you in exchange."

Fang growled. It was not like he had a choice.

"Fine," he relented. "I used to wear glasses because I thought I looked cool. Does that count?"

Reverse sat himself on a pile of leaves. "Fair enough." Making himself comfortable, he sniffed and stared into Fang's eyes. "Ask me your question. One at a time."

The raven-haired male thought hard.

"What's your intention of stealing everyone's powers?"

"Simple. It's my only way to get my brother back to Earth." Reverse glared. "You can have your shitty powers back if you want. I have no use for them. Why did you betray my brother once?"

"I was forced to. At the time, I was still in the shadow of my bro—" Fang caught himself. "My captain," he forced out. "What powers do you have?"

"Elemental Desolation. I kill, then control the dead elements, and some of them are inverted. My brother has light, but I have dark. He has lightning, I have aura. What's your purpose of becoming my brother's friend?"

"I'm his friend because I want to protect him. I promised it to him, but I failed. Why didn't you come to Pulau Rintis when Boboiboy came when he was younger?"

"I killed our parents because they wanted to send us to the government for weaponry uses. I sent him here and I fled the country. I found him last few years when we mastered our powers each."

Fang and Reverse were glaring so hard that their eyes might as well just fall out. Their topic revolved around their dead friend and brother, even though Fang had discovered the truth.

"So you'll give their powers back," he prodded.

Reverse grunted. "Yeah. Not now."

"What?" Fang stood. "They aren't yours. Boboiboy's dead, because of you! If he didn't come to earth, he wouldn't be killed!"

"You think I anticipated that?" Reverse rose, his feet crushing the leaves under him. "I am the mastermind of all villains here and in space. Why do you think you and your little crew managed to survive this long? I killed the biggest, the baddest villains before they even got to you. Even if they manage to bypass me and get to my brother, he has the potential to kill them. He can end them."

His jaw clenched. The carefree aura was gone, replaced by a deathly glare that would kill anyone.

"But you people made him weak." Reverse was inches close to Fang's face, despite being shorter than him. He bit his lip so hard he tasted blood. "He could have killed. It was you that stopped him. He could end their lives without hesitation... but you people were there. I've seen him take lives. He was by my side when we caused destruction and chaos. But no. One little trip to dear old grandad... and you people weakened him!"

"Valuing lives isn't weak!" Fang roared back. "Boboiboy killed? Quit lying!"

Reverse quirked his lip. He suddenly burst into a fit of laughter, holding his abdomen as his voice gradually grew louder. It wasn't one of pleasure or happiness. It was a menacing laugh, that resembled a bit too much of his brunette twin, just a twisted version of it.

It still looked too similar. It hit too close to home.

"You think my brother's so innocent?" Reverse cackled. "He's as bad as me."

He turned sharply on his heels, leaving Fang alone in the shroud of darkened mysteries.