Chapter 13

Two months later...

I was sweating and everything was hurting. "Push yourself!" Hilary yelled at me. I couldn't but my sheer motivation kept me going. I have never trained this hard. Emet created a machine in the training room, like the simulators. He's created circuits, different adventures. Each circuit is tailored to each person. They change every time and each is dramatically harder. Emet calls them levels, at the moment, I'm on level 48. This level was torture. I found myself on a bridge, mission, get across. Sounds easy enough, not for the fact that thousands of soldiers are standing on this bridge. Hilary can see my every move. She comes in with me but on a purpose to watch. Three hours, I've been in this level, I'm nearly on the other side, finally.

See, the thing, I train the hardest. We are only meant to train three days a week but I train every day.  I need to fight for myself.

A lot has happened these last two months. I've been hanging out with Matt a lot. He is so sweet. He's always looking out for me, a true gentleman. Zach, well, he's the complete opposite. He's living up to his playboy name. I can't believe how many girls I find in my room. He's even had two girls in one day. It's disgusting. But the thing is, I still have a connection with him. I try to shake these feelings off but I can't, I hate it. All he would do is break my heart. Matt on the other hand, I might have small feelings for him but I'm not sure on them. I can't tell the difference if it's brotherly love or something else. I think brotherly love. I sound like one of those girls from the old movies. Great, love has gotten the better of me!

I sometimes think of running away. Running away from love but I know it'll just bring me back. I threw a punch at the last soldier and he landed on the floor beside me. The world became boxy and I returned to my cubical. I heard Hilary clap, "very good Krista. You're dismissed." I stepped out of the cubical, dying to lay down and relax my aching muscle. Knowing my luck, I probably won't have enough time. I'm either above ground running laps or with friends like Becky and Matt. 

I said goodbye to Hilary and left the room. Everyone's at dinner but I don't feel hungry. I walked to my room and opened the door. The light turned on and I saw something on my bed. I climbed the ladder and smiled. There was a note and a bottle of water laying on my pillow. I grabbed the bottle of water and drank up. I then opened the note.

Meet me outside your room at 7...

-Matt

I wonder what he wants to see me for? I heard the bell ring for the end of dinner and the noise of loud people walking to their rooms filled the air. I placed the note under my pillow and jumped down from the bed. I grabbed a large top to put on after and I made my way to the bathroom. I took a quick shower and got changed. Once I walked out, everyone was in the room. Gera pushed past me and walked into the bathroom. I have to hold in the urge to punch her and her friends. But I've already been reported eight times by them and on my tenth, I get moved. I like this room, I'm with my best friend, Becky. I went and sat next to her on her bed as she brushed her hair with her fingers.

I told her about meeting with Matt after and she got really excited. "How about you actually put some pants on. Being only in your underwear and a top makes you seem like you want more." I rolled my eyes and smiled at her. "Everyone knows I wear that to bed." "Is that so?" Zach came and sat between us. I haven't talked to Zach in about three days. I've been training hard.

"Hey," Becky flirted as she leaned in closer to him. She's told me that they've kissed a few times already. Ew! "Hey babe," he replied as he put his arm around her waist. They started kissing and I turned my head and sighed. It'll be me who Becky will go crying to when Zach breaks her heart.

The curfew bell rang and everyone went to bed as the light turned off. As for me, I stayed on Becky's bed until everyone fell asleep which was only about five minutes. I then quietly walked to the door and opened it slowly. I closed the door behind me and Matt was leaning against the wall with a smile on his face. "Hey," I greeted as we walked down the tunnel and sat down. He took a napkin out of his pocket and a bread roll was wrapped inside it. "Sneaked it out for you, I noticed you weren't at dinner." He handed me the roll and I scoffed it down. He chucked, "you were hungry." I shrugged once I finished. "Krista, I've gotta ask. Do you like me?"

"Yes. You're a great friend-" He stopped me mid sentence. "I mean like like me." I looked to the tunnel's river and sighed. "I-I, Matt." I didn't know what to say. Matt put his hand around my waist and started to lean in closer. I closed my eyes, this will be my first kiss.

"Get a room you two!" Someone called out and Matt pulled back before his lips reached mine. I whipped my head around to see who it was. Argh! IT WAS ZACH!!! "What do you want Zach!" I screamed. He has really crossed the line. I still haven't had my first kiss, and he just ruined the chance to change that. Matt let go of me and looked off in the distance. "I'm sorry," I whispered to him and he nodded. "See you around Krista." Matt said in a monotone voice as he stood up and walked to his room. I stood up myself and hit my head repeatedly on the wall. "You know you're losing 200 brain cells each time you do that." Zach stated. "But 2000 grow back in two minutes." I retorted. "Why did you do that Zach?! For goodness sake's, I don't get but into your relationships, so why should you but into my own?!" I screamed. His eyes seemed needy and desperate. "Matt is not the right guy for you. You deserve better." I shook my head. "Becky is the wrong girl for you. She deserves better than you." He cocked his head to the side confused. "Who's Becky?" "The girl you were making out with tonight!"

He shrugged. I took a deep breath in. "Apologise to Matt for me, please? He's a nice person so have the decency to say sorry." I said calmly. He nodded. "Krista, can we talk?" He asked and I looked into his perfect eyes. "No."

I walked back to the quarters and took a deep breath but instead of going back to bed, I walked past my quarters to Matt's. John, Hilary and himself get their own personal rooms. I knocked on the door and he answered it.

"Hi Krista."

"I'm sorry for what happened tonight, truly. But also, I don't want to rush things, could we just stay as friends, for now?"

He nodded and we hugged. We said goodnight and I walked back to my quarters. I noticed that Zach wasn't back but I shook that out of my head as I climbed into bed and fell asleep straight away.

------

Teaser for chapter 14: Krista and Zach friends? A bonding lesson, does it bring Matt and Zach together or more apart?

Thanks for reading!!

HT12