Falling out, diving in.

Set after Civil War, but diverges from the plot after that. Infinity war and Endgame do not happen. There will be endgame spoilers, but the movie doesn't actually happen.

(Yes I'm in denial.)

"Where's my dad?"

The question came nearly every day, and each time it did, Steve would shake his head with a sad look in his eyes.

"He isn't coming, Peter. He isn't coming with us."

The nine year old knew something was wrong, that something had happened. His dad wouldn't have left him.

"Papa, why isn't he coming?"

And then Steve would lift the boy onto his lap.

"There are a lot of reasons, Peter. He just can't right now."

"I want my dad."

Aunt Natasha was there, the sight of her familiar red hair comforting to the young boy.

A strange man wearing black appeared, his eyes serious. "I can give you the refuge you seek."

"Thank you." His papa had given the man a small smile, and that was it.

They were staying there.

----------------

For two years after the falling out known as the 'Civil War' they lived in Wakanda.

As a bright eleven year old, Peter had an obsession with science and technology that was fueled by visits to Wakanda's labs.

At first he asked every day when he could see his dad, but less and less when it never happened.

His papa would shake his head sadly, and try to hug him.

----------------

"Did you hurt my dad?"

The ten year old could see his papa- Steve- tense, back turned. "I didn't try, Pete."

"You were wrong. Uncle Bucky was going to be safe. My dad was going to help him."

Steve let out a sigh. "He wanted to do the wrong thing, Pete-"

"No, you were wrong. How is accountability against your morals? You're Captain America, Steve. You're supposed to do what's good for the people."

It was the first time he'd called him Steve and not Papa, and Steve felt a pang of remorse.

"He was going to be locked up. I couldn't let that happen."

"For his safety," Peter said firmly. "He killed people. Dad wanted to help him."

Steve shook his head. "There are a lot of things you don't understand, Peter. I have a duty to the people, as Captain, and I was trying to help them-"

"I don't understand?" Peter repeated incredulously. "I don't understand? I think it's you, Steve, who doesn't understand. You are wrong. You gave up the right to be Captain America when you left my dad to die."

The ten year old stomped off and didn't speak to Steve again for days.

---------------