Chapter 15

Zain's friend had invited them over for his wedding anniversary party and had specially asked to bring Rudaba along. At first, Zain was not sure if Rudaba would agree for this but to his surprise, she didn't say no but easily agreed to go with him. Maybe, that was another way of her to divert her mind. Men were to wear black tuxedo suits and women were to wear any dress or gown but in the colour blue. So, this is what Rudaba and Zain decided to wear.

She wore a sky-blue long gown, with pearl earrings. Her hair was tied in a styled bun and she opted for a simple makeup look as the party was in late afternoon and keeping up with the timings of summer in New York, it was going to best suit her to have soft makeup. She was trying to find her shoes in her shoe cabinet when Zain knocked on her door and entered inside on her permission. Clad in a black tuxedo, with hair jelled and combed back neatly, he was nothing short of a sight. He didn't say anything but just walked in and leaned against the wall waiting for Rudaba. After minutes of searching, she finally found her shoes and walked back out to the main room.

Her eyes fell on him and his fell on hers. There was silence, but their eyes were doing the talking. Both of them couldn't decide who was more awestruck. Zain at Rudaba or Rudaba at him. She was glowing and simply looked like a vision. He was no less either. If she was the glow, he was the light. He looked fine enough to catch Rudaba's eyes. But maybe she still managed to gain back her focus, but he hadn't. He was still immersed in looking at her with awe in his eyes. Rudaba broke the silence in an attempt to bring Zain back to his surroundings.

"Achay lag rahe ho."

Zain almost blinked when he noticed she was speaking to him. His first reaction was a smile but then he shook his head.

"Tum ziyada pyaari lag rahi hu."

Rudaba had chuckled and had looked away trying to avoid eye contact with him.

"Yahan competition na shuru karlein agar aisi baat hai toh?"

"Haan karwalete hain. Magar tum jeet jaogi."

"Thanks."

"Kis baat ka?"

"Tareef ka."

"Phir tu tumhara bhi shukriya. Jhoot hi sahi magar mera dil rakhne ka!"

"Arey! Tum waqai achay lag rahe ho."

Zain had smiled again and had nodded in response.

"Acha maan liya. Chalein ab?"

"Haan, chalo."

------------

The decorations in blue and white were giving the place a certain charm. Everyone at the party were arriving in accordance with the dress code. Zain and Rudaba had entered and were warmly greeted by Zain's friend, Usman and his wife, Samra. They had been married for two years and Zain had known Usman since the day he started work in New York with Shahroze. The couple knew about the circumstances in which Zain and Rudaba got married but being the supportive friends, they were, they didn't bring up that topic in front of them. But the event, to their surprise, was going to come with its own storm.

Rudaba was sitting on the table with Samra when a young woman approached them. She was looking at Rudaba only and she couldn't understand why she was looking at her with such cutting eyes. Samra, however, had recognised her and was shifting in her chair because she didn't know how to handle the storm that was preparing against Rudaba and Zain.

"You are Rudaba, aren't you?"

"Yes?"

"So, you are the one Zain married out of pressure, I see!"