Chapter Eight

{Combat}

The tires turned over the wet track, speed bringing the cold rain into the windscreen harder than it would have been if they were driving at normal speed. Hoseok found that his jacket gave up on keeping his body dry a while ago, shirt still soaked from his unexpected adventure outside. On a rainy day like this there was just no point in heavy clothing, the only thing that would keep someone warm was their own movement. 

So too bad Hoseok was stuck driving behind the wheel. 

It had been 6 hours since they had escaped from camp delta and Hoseok felt it would be best for Daisy to rest up before they would have to venture outside and get fuel. Eye's falling off the road and onto the monitor Hoseok noticed that they had about 10 more minutes of fuel, yet they still had another 15-20 minutes to drive. It was worrying Hoseok a lot. But he wasn't going to let his nerves slip. 

"Woah, Yoongi that colour suits you!" Jungkook spoke from the back of the van. 

Yoongi placed the bottle of bleach and toner packet beside himself as he ran a hand through his newly dyed hair. It was amusing to see Jungkook acting so excited about something. Yoongi rarely had anything amusing in his life anymore so travelling with a kid made his life a bit more entertaining and a bit less about survival. 

"Thanks... I actually had a hair colour like this before the outbreak." Yoongi spoke, pulling a strand of hair in front of his eyes as he examined the new colour. Before the outbreak his hair was a minty green, but this time it was more like a faded blue. It was refreshing to say the least. He hated having black hair, it felt too boring. 

Jungkook's eyes widened, "You mean, they let you onto the police force with blue hair!?" 

Yoongi softly chuckled, "The area was rural and didn't have a lot of officers. Not to mention, I was actually a detective too." Yoongi explained. 

It looked like a switch had flipped inside Jungkook's head, because the next words that left his lips were, "You're the crazy mint haired officer who was able to put up with Kim Taehyung!"

Yoongi blinked with wide eyes at Jungkook's statement. It had been years since he had heard about Taehyung, he had honestly almost forgotten about all the times he had to put the kid in his place. 

"Yep, that was me."

was

Yoongi's life would never be the same again. He had worked his ass off in military training for years to make it into the police force early, then worked hard for another few years to land a spot  as a higher up, a detective. But just one month after his first task as a detective, the outbreak occurred. 

He remembered being called in that morning. He was patrolling the local high school like usual, and expectedly ran into Taehyung skipping out on school again. But Taehyung's panicked expression was out of the ordinary. 

That was the first sign

The second sign was Taehyung's words. At the time, the words, 'Don't let them touch you, cover your open wounds, and don't get bit.' were nothing but gibberish to him. He thought Taehyung was on drugs. So he ignored the signs and went straight to the science facility. 

Out of all of the scientists and officers, Yoongi was the only survivor. 

And it was all because of Taehyung's words. 

But something didn't sit right with Yoongi. How could Taehyung have known about the walkers? Even more confusing, how did Taehyung know the exact causes of the infection? It was odd, Yoongi still wanted answers from the missing male.

"Shit Shit, Shit!" Hose cursed, landing his head on the steering wheel as the car engine was abruptly shut off. 

Jungkook was quick to stumble to the front of the van, "How far are we from our fuel source?" Jungkook asked Hoseok, his role as squadron leader coming through. 

"7 minute drive... so probably a 20 minute walk." Hoseok spoke, silently cursing to himself for his lack of preparation. The sky was beginning to mix into vibrant shades of purple as the sun was slowly making its decent on the horizon. They weren't going to make it back before nightfall, there was no way. 

Jungkook sucked in a breath as he began pacing around the small confinements of the van. In a normal situation like this, he would accompany at least three trained professionals from his squad to retrieve fuel. It was a safe strategy to avoid being outnumbered in the case of a battle. 

However, flickering his eyes across his current squad. This situation would be proven difficult. The only people who were trained in battle included Hoseok, himself and presumably Yoongi. But Yoongi was too malnourished to walk the distance, he needed to stay. Daisy did as well. She looked to be of no help on the battlefield. 

So that just left Jungkook and Hoseok. 

Running his hand through his hair, Jungkook tried to release his stress as he spoke of the plan, "We can't stay here the night. If a horde passes through, we're as good as dead." Jungkook explains, "So here's the plan. Hoseok and I will go to retrieve as much fuel as we can. Yoongi- you stay here and protect Daisy in any case of an emergency." 

Usually Yoongi would complain about being left out, but judging his situation. It was best if he remained behind. After all, Jungkook couldn't venture out by himself, and Daisy couldn't be left alone. 

Yoongi let out a tired sigh, "Understood." He spoke, "But on one condition."

Jungkook cocked a brow, "What?"

Yoongi pointed a finger to the empty belt fastened around his waist, "I'll need my guns and equipment back." 

Jungkook was hesitant at first, but Hoseok was quick to step in, rummaging through the front compartments until his hands brushed along three familiar metal objects. Hoseok had a stern expression plastered on his face as he crouched down in front of the blue haired male, passing him his two guns and flashlight. 

"Protect her." Hoseok spoke sternly, concern laced in his voice as he gave Yoongi a pure look of trust. 

"I will." Yoongi nod in acknowledgment. 

Yoongi wasn't stupid. Surviving on your own in the open for four years takes skill, and Yoongi was just about skilled in every area. He had brief knowledge of the terrain of this area. It was relatively flatter then most parts, the main highway wasn't too far and there would be walkers or runners no doubt. 

Yoongi had the itching feeling that he was in for something big 

-----

{Author Note}

Do you have a fan fiction you want to get noticed? Well look no further! Check out the book on my profile 'BTS Dionysus Awards' and enter your book now! If you don't have a book, you can enter as a judge!

Update Tomorrow x

(unedited)