Chapter 32: The Dark Forest

(Arulla's POV)

The forest was dark, almost murky and damp. Everywhere you looked there was darkness. The only light came from the smallest bit of sunlight that peeked through the trees. The air was thick and heavy. My head pounding as I breathed.

Only a few times did I falter and Kíli or Fíli was quick to help me back up before our leader noticed my fall. My head was getting heavy, my pack felt like boulders pinning me down on the ground. My eyelids dropping, getting closer together every minute. I was exhausted.

But then I hear voices, little whining voices and I look around the forest and see my closest friend when I was growing up in Rivendell, the same friend who was murdered before my eyes. "Elemmírë." I whispered softly, no one seemed to notice.

She smiled at me, "Why did you leave us Ari? Why didn't you help us? You only stared as me and Tharon died."

I whimpered at the memory and gave her an apologetic smile, "I didn't mean to, I had no choice. I'm so sorry."

"You let us die! Its your fault we're dead!" She shouted.

I boxed my ears so tight but I could still hear her voice clean and clear through my tight fists.

"Your fault. Your fault. Your fault."

"MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!!!!!" I screeched, this time gaining everyone's attention, more importantly Thorin's. Oh goody.

"Make it stop... Make it stop... Make it stop..." I begin to whine as the voices keep thundering in my head.

Your fault. Your fault. Your fault.

I was on the ground my head bowed to the ground, and my ears still boxed as I wailed. I do not remember when I was engulfed in strong arms, one moment I was cold, another I was wrapped tightly to someone's chest.

Then two heads leaned on my shoulders.

Wait, two heads...

I opened my eyes and saw that the arms that engulfed me, were not who I assumed. It was Fíli and Kíli, sitting beside me as I huddled into Fíli's chest.

"We'll rest here for a while." I faintly hear Thorin say as Fíli rubbed my back soothingly and Kíli grasped my leg.

"Shh shh shh..." Fíli began to sooth as Kíli rubbed my back. "Nothing will harm you. Me and Fíli are here with you. With Bilbo and Uncle, no one is going to harm you here." Kíli finished. My sobs quietly cease and I lift my head to see Fíli smiling at me as he wipes my tears away.

"There see? All better." Kíli chuckled, I smile a slightly amused grin and begin to stand once more. "I'm fine now. Let's keep going." I begin to say as the boys try to help me up. The small, sad grins I received afterwards was something that made my heart twinge.

Once I stood and took a few steps, my head clouded with haze. I stopped and looked around...

No screaming in my ears... No dizziness in my head... Everything was fine... or so I thought.

I looked ahead and smiled slightly dazed at what I saw, or at least I thought I saw. I almost shouted in glee as I began to run, Kíli following close behind me to make sure I didn't fall. I stopped short when I found it, my heart almost leapt in joy

"We found the bridge!" I shouted.

"Bridge!" Bofur shouted dazedly.

Thorin scrambled, his feet swaying slightly as he looked at the broken bridge and the blackened water beneath it.

"We could try and swim it." Bofur suggested, and I thought it was a pretty good idea, but apparently not.

"Didn't you hear what Gandalf said?" Thorin rumbled, "A dark magic lies upon this forest. The waters of this stream are enchanted."