Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Even before Lyv opened her eyes, tears were already falling from the corners of her eyes, sliding down the side of her face and into her hair. Hair that had already been washed of the splatters of blood and brushed out, along with the rest of her being cleaned. She didn't remember doing it, though.

And even though she was herself, she could still feel that darkness inside her humming contently, happy to finally be able to grow and thrive.

But at the cost of an entire village.

Memories flashed through her mind – the looks of horror, the slashing of throats, the rivers of blood that ran through the streets. And that was just a village of a few hundred people. What must it look like to rip through a city the size of Palrion as Corliss did before?

Those memories made the tears turn to sobs as Lyv clutched at her chest, feeling her heart race. The darkness inside her worked its way to her heart with every act of violence she committed, even though she didn't want to. She couldn't stop it no matter how much she tried.

As Lyv continued to sort through those scarce memories of what happened when she was under, the darkness wasn't the only thing she felt in her heart. A bright light, a shining silver cord lit up the dark, pushing back against the shadows and keeping them at bay.

And burst into tears when she finally did. Because it wasn't just those memories of her attack on that small village she was remembering then. It was also what happened to her when she was trapped inside her mind, fighting against the darkness that threatened to overtake her, before she felt someone there with her.

Until she heard the one voice she longed to hear, calling out for her just past the ward of shadows that was locked around her. She couldn't see him, but could feel him trying everything to get through that boundary.

Then a crack.

And their mating bond snapped back into place as much as it could with them being so far apart.

It had been so long since Lyv felt it she hardly recognized it. It was barely there, though, but she could still feel it, feel the love and longing and fear of what was happening to her. He'd been thinking the worst this whole time, too. Knowing Jai thought he'd already lost her completely to the dark magic inside her had her crying and screaming even louder.

But that bond was still there, just enough for Lyv to feel it now in her dungeon cell.

Even though she could sense his absolute love for her through it, she couldn't help but feel her own seed of doubt begin to bloom into a dark flower, making her thoughts turn on her. What must he think of her? Surely, he'd heard of what she had done over these last few weeks.

Then again...he wouldn't have been screaming for her if he still didn't want to save her from herself. Jai's voice echoed through her mind again.

And Lyv opened her eyes to stare at the white canopy above her.

Her cell was lit by the two torches just outside the metal bars, though another seemed to be heading toward her. She shifted, swinging her legs over the side before standing, stumbling into the side as they shook. But that dark magic inside her sparked to life, humming contently at its newly acquired strength, and allowed her to stand up straight.

Lyv hated herself for liking the feeling it gave her. The feeling of absolute power that was waiting for her full acknowledgement, knowing it was only a matter of time before she gave in, even if it was just out of pure curiosity. There was no way she was doing so.