Chapter 22: Visit from the lovesick prince

Chunhua, who has now become First Miss Hai Chunhua, enters the courtyard of her older brother with a wide smile on her face together with her maid who is actually a palace maid bestowed to her by Empress Dowager Long Shanding. Both of them hits it off with flying colours and Caolan¹ never looks down at her even after knowing about her humble beginning.

"Furen, Eldest Miss Hai is here with her maid, Caolan."

Chuntao greets Hai Chunhua and Caolan accordingly. Chuntao and the other remaining dowry maids are quite accepting with the fact that Hai Chunhua is no longer a maid like the rest of them and they did not even feel any bitter feeling towards her. Their relationship is still close but they treat her as their mistress now.

"Chuntao, I have heard from Dongmei and Jinghua that you have been unwell for the last few days. Are you feeling any better now?"

Chuntao smiles as she leads both young ladies inside the front hall, "This servant has been feeling better, Eldest Miss. Thank you for your concern. Dongmei, get a cup of tea and some desserts for Eldest Miss."

Hai Chunhua smiles and says, "Caolan, you can leave me and assist Dongmei."

"Chunhua is here... How is mother-in-law? Please convey my apology for being unable to give her morning greetings."

Hai Chunhua immediately stands up from her seat and holds Jia Huian's other arm to support her.

"Sister-in-law, mother said that you are no longer required to give her morning greetings until you are feeling much better."

Jia Huian smiles and says, "I am feeling better these days. Your brother is the one who makes a fuss over nothing."

Jinghua who is standing behind Jia Huian then says, "Furen, one can never be too careful. After all, this is your first pregnancy. The General worries about you so it is understandable."

Hai Chunhua smiles and nods her head in agreement, "Sister-in-law, what Jinghua has just said is correct. All of us worries that something will happen so that is why we are personally making sure that everything will be going on smoothly for you and the young master."

"Young master?"

Dongmei chuckles and says, "Eldest Miss and the 3 of us are confident that furen will give birth to a healthy son."

Jia Huian gently smiles and she caresses her flat belly. It has been a month but, her body still looks pretty much the same. But, according to her husband, her breasts are certainly a size bigger than before. That man is quite annoying at times as whenever he at home, he will literally be stuck to her like a leech.

"Home..."

Dongmei and Caolan enter the front hall with each of them carrying a tray, one tray is a pot of freshly brewed tea and several teacups and the other has two plates of roasted chestnuts and almond cookies respectively.

As they transfer the pot of tea, teacups and desserts on the table, they heard what has just been softly spoken by Jia Huian. The others heard the same too. All of them are turning their heads to look at her who is now looking somewhat absentmindedly though the gentle smile of hers never left her serenely beautiful face.

Hai Chunchua exchanges glance with the others before she says, "Home? Sister-in-law... Are you alright? Why you suddenly display a rather sullen look on your face?"

"Chunhua... I have never considered this place as home. I thought I did not belong here. I thought that I am not wanted. But, I guess that this is home now. For my child and myself."

Dongmei then says, "Furen, this is indeed your home now. Look at what we have brought from the kitchen. A pot of freshly brewed jasmine greet tea, roasted chestnuts and almond cookies. Jinghua said that you wanted to eat these two."