34

chapter thirty four
florence thompson
song: checkmate - conan gray

"Oh my god, what?" Aria squealed, sitting cross-legged on my bed, her eyes wide as she soaked in everything I'd just told her about my run in yesterday with supermodel and "other woman", or rather sugar baby, Julia Kline. I also dished the details about his call and how we'd seen her on TV the night of my birthday. "That is literally insane. Why are you going tonight then, Flo?"

I shrugged, sliding the door open to my closet and staring at all the measly clothes that stared back at me tauntingly.

"It's not a big deal. I'm just going to get rid of my feelings, it's fine," I spoke, hopefully convincing her thoroughly before she grounded me from going tonight.

Sarcasm.

"Florence," she groaned, rolling her head back to stare at the ceiling. "You do understand that it isn't that easy to stop liking someone? I hate to break it to you but you don't exactly have a choice in the matter."

I sighed, looking at her, knowing that there was some truth to her words.

I was about to reply when a loud knock on my front door echoed throughout the apartment. Aria caught my gaze, both of us furrowing our brows in complete confusion as we both wondered who in the world would be here right now.

I made my way out of my room, Aria hot on my heels after she jumped out of my bed. I glanced over my shoulder, confused, as we continued towards the door. With a mild amount of hesitation, I leaned up onto my tippy toes, my palms flat against the door as I looked through the peephole, Aria not too far away from me as she also tried to figure out who it was.

There, in the distorted lens of the peephole was a man in his mid-forties, holding a large garment bag that was draped over his other arm to keep it up off of the floor. He was wearing a pristine suit, seemingly maybe a little impatient and worn.

With confusion still written all over my face, I glanced back to Aria once more before unlocking all of my locks and pulling the door open to reveal the unfamiliar man.

"Hello?" I asked, staring at the man as we were now face to face, Aria stood behind me with her arms crossed over her chest.

Both of us were sporting oversized t-shirts and cloth shorts since we had been slumming around all day, gossiping about our ridiculous lives.

"Miss Thompson?" The man asked, only making my complete and utter confusion all that more baffling as I stared at him, nodding wordlessly. "This is for you," he informed me as he shoved the garment bag over to me.

I grabbed the bag instinctually, not wanting to seem rude.

"I'm sorry, but I think you have the wrong person," I said, shaking my head as I glanced down to the bag that was now in my hands.

"You're Miss Florence Thompson, right?" He clarified, brows now raised as he stared at me expectantly.

"Well, yeah, but-,"

"Then I have the right person. Have a nice day, Miss Thompson." He nodded respectively before turning on his nicely polished shoe and heading down the stairs and out towards his car.

With a whole lot of confusion, I stepped back and closed the door with my foot, looking at Aria with confusion as she glanced at me with the same expression.

"What's that?" She asked, following me to the kitchen where I hung the hanger off of a tack I had on the wall, very lux, I know.

"I don't know," I mumbled, stepping back in my fuzzy socks and tugging the zipper down to reveal the garment that was in the bag.