Part 9

"Run inside babe, I need to take this phone call." Anthony instructed me. We were in front of our favorite restaurant, picking up the to-go order. I huffed my breath, I hadn't really planned on going inside. Anthony glared at me and his jaw clenched. Although we had been good, I did notice he was trying his hardest not to flash on me lately. I was more irritable since my belly was heavier, and he was patient most of the times, but I knew I was pushing my limits. I shoved the car door open and made sure to slam it once I was out. I could feel Anthony's eyes on the back of my head but oh fucking well. I was supposed to be home in bed waiting for him to come back with the food. We both had been out all-day signing contracts with new clients and I was dead tired. When I walked into the restaurant it was crowded per usual. I made my way up to the pickup section and rang the bell. The bubbly waitress came to the counter with a huge grin and too much make up caked on her face

"Hi, are we here to pick up an order?"

"Why else would I be in the pickup line?" I rolled my eyes at her, but her smile didn't falter.

"Ok no worries miss, let me get that last name and I'll have that order right out to you."

"Smith." I replied flatly.

"BRB!" she squealed before spinning around and going back into the kitchen. I was envious at her happiness, because I seemed to be faking mine. Things were fine at home, Anthony hadn't gotten physical or anything; I was just feeling so alone. I was stealing money from my man just to run away with our child and trying to keep it a secret. As bad as I wanted to believe Anthony and I could work together I wasn't changing my mind. In order for me to be the best mother to my child I needed to be alone
I was tapping my foot waiting, on my food when another customer approached the counter. I could smell his cologne and it was a delicious scent, made me side eye him. He was dressed simply in a Nike tracksuit but the way his shoulders strained against the jacket let me know he had a lot of body under there. His skin was smooth and ebony, but for some reason his bald head was starting to look familiar to me. Then he turned around and I realized it was the officer from the hospital! He squinted his as eyes at me as if to say "what are you looking at?" then they opened wide when he recognized me. I looked away and hoped the girl was coming back with my order.

"Hey." I heard a voice. It took me a few seconds but i turned around, officer was all in my personal space. When I didn't respond he said "I'm the officer-"

"I know who you are. Why are you talking to me?"

"Hell, the last time I seen you, yo ass was laid out on a hospital bed. Wanted to make sure you recovered from the robbery."

The way he said "robbery" let me know he hadn't bought my bullshit story way back then.

"Clearly I'm fine."

"That's good to know, you never followed up with us. Otherwise I would've made sure to get his ass."

"I told y'all all I knew. Its in the past and I'd like to leave it there." I was trying my hardest to be mean and get him to walk away from me because his cologne and his full lips were making my mind wander. He was too damn close.

"Understood. You keep yourself out of trouble Lina." Gray stepped back and I finally let out a breath.

He retreated back to his spot at the counter and the waitress finally came back with my food. I snatched the bag out her hand so fast she didn't even have time to react. I was out the door and back to the car within seconds. When I finally got my car door closed, I tried to hand the bag to Anthony but he was sitting still, facing forward.

"Whats wrong?" I asked him, but he didn't respond. "Anthony?"

"Who was that?" He asked calmly

"Who was wh-" I started but then I followed his gaze, we were parked directly in front of the restaurant window and could see inside, specifically the pickup counter. That meant Anthony had seen the whole conversation play out, without the dialogue. 

"Th-that was the officer from the hospital." I stammered

"And what did he want?"

"Nothing, just making sure I was alright."

"Really? That's all huh? He was pretty damn close to you" Anthony snorted and finally looked at me. His hazel eyes had gone a dark brown and I knew he was upset.

"I promise babe, I don't even know why he approached me. I told him that I was fine and to move around I promise." I heard myself whining, trying to make sure he believed me before things got ugly.

"Lina you must think I'm a mutha fuckin' dummy. You gone sit here and tell me that man remembers some beat up bitch at the hospital from months ago? Right off the back like that?"

"Anth-"

"Shut up. Here I am trying to make some business moves while my girl gets some dinner and I look up and see you flirting with a pig."  

"I wasn't flirting! I tol- "I tried to argue but he snatched my wrist and began to dig his nails into my skin.

"I said shut up. You lucky we in public or I'd knock yo head between the steering wheel and the dashboard. If it weren't for my baby in there I'd kick yo triflin' ass out right now." He hissed,

I could see the fury in his eyes just based off the fact he thought I was interested in another guy. Imagine how he'd act if he knew I was gonna run off on him. This was confirmation that I needed to leave, and soon. 

"Anthony I am not doing anything behind your back!" I claimed even though it was a lie.

I was sneaking something, but it wasn't dick. Little did he know I had over 10,000 put away in my secret stash. Every time he got paid, so did I and once I got to 20 I was out. That's why I was trying to keep him calm. I didn't want him to tighten the reins on me right when I was about to get loose.

"I swear to God, play with me if you want to Lina. My baby will be living in a single parent home" He spat out.

Anthony's nails were breaking into my skin and I snatched away. He flinched at me and my dumb ass jumped back, scared as hell. My face wasn't pregnant and the way he was looking at me I'm sure he wanted to rip it off. Anthony flung the car in reverse and swerved out the parking lot. When I looked back at the restaurant Officer Gray was standing outside with a cigarette in hand; staring at the car and shaking his head. Anthony drove home like a bat out of hell without saying a word, he pulled into the driveway but didn't make a move to turn the car off.

"Come inside lets eat." I told him, trying to be as sweet as possible.

"YOU go eat, I don't have an appetite. I'm gonna go and clear my head." He lashed back.

"Where you gonna go? Its damn near midnight."

"Lina, get out of my car."

"Tell me where you're going first. You don't have any friends to go vent to." I raised my voice a little as my suspicions rose, who the fuck was he going to see?
Anthony was texting on his phone purposely ignoring me. "ANTHONY!" I yelled and he hit me in the throat with the side of his hand making me gag and choke on my words. I felt like there was a golf ball in my throat I couldn't catch my breath.

"I said get the fuck outta my car." He said viciously "You don't get to question me when you cant even explain how you friends with a COP."
I didn't respond, hell I couldn't. So I grabbed the bag of food and quietly exited the car. Anthony skirted out the driveway without another word. I walked to the front door with tears in my eyes. This nigga put his hands on me despite the fact that I was pregnant, I was in a fucked up situation and I needed to make my way out, I was running out of time.