Chapter 27; equals

Make sure you read chapter 26 as this is a double update! This chapter is the one I have been waiting for from the beginning. I hope you enjoy it. It's a rough one ;)

* * *

Alice was dreaming. At first, she couldn't figure out the place that she stood in nor could she pinpoint the familiarity of the situation. Until Hades, the God of the underworld walked in, then she realised that was in fact in the meadow where the sprites lived. Her eyes narrowed as she took an involuntary step back the moment her mind registered the Gods face. It did not go unnoticed by him.

"You shouldn't be surprised, my little sprite. You did call, after all." The corners of Hades' mouth twitched up into a smile.

"Hours ago," her eyes narrowed further.

"Potaytoe Potatoe," he shoved his hands into the pockets of his trousers, his head cocked to the side. She wasn't sure whether she should be more surprised at his rather casual outfit or the way in which he carried himself- as if he really didn't have a single worry. It made him appear almost human. "But I am not here to argue about the timing of my arrival. You want me to tell you how Lucien knows your every move, yes?"

Alice glowered at the smirk on Hades' face. "Of course, although you could have told me before I woke up from the trance. It would have made my life much easier."

His face sobered, "I can not mess with free will too much, little sprite. It's not my place." Alice opened her mouth to speak but with the flick of his hand, her words were cut short. "But, I will say this; Lucien has many eyes that are not his own, some that walk with light and some that walk among the shadows. You must remember that not everything is as black and white as you think. Even the dark has some light."

None of it made sense. Alice scoffed at the riddle, anger brewing inside of her. Of course, he wouldn't answer her truthfully, he was most likely here simply to amuse her mortal worries. Why should he care? She had been foolish in asking him for help, of all the Gods to ask."That's not helpful," she finally snapped. "It doesn't answer anything."

"Not yet, it doesn't. But it will and you will thank me then. Remember, Alice, that with every favour you ask a price must be paid. Be wary of asking for my help again, I can not control the rules." And then he was gone.

Alice blinked her eyes open, startled at the sudden end of her dream. Afternoon light streamed through the partially open blinds with dust particles dancing in the beams of sunlight. A yawn escaped her as she sat up, wincing from the headache that pounded through her skull. Her body felt heavy and weighed down, tensed from the upcoming full moon and the shift to come. She dreaded to think about that night, about the possibility of death and what it would mean. If she died, there'd be a chance she'd come back and if she did- Colden would have to kill her. 

After she cleaned and dressed, her mood dark and gloomy, Alice followed Colden's scent. It was easy to find now considering that it consumed her every being. Even if she didn't come back for one hundred years, she was certain that his scent would still be engrained in her mind. How could it not when it was mixed with her very essence?

She found him in the infirmary, a place that she hadn't visited often but rather avoided. Colden's back was turned to her as he exchanged words with Dr Eaton, the same doctor who had looked after her. Alice realised who he was visiting then; Lily's red hair was matted against the white hospital pillow. It reminded her of old blood, rusty in colour. With a jolt, she realised that Lily was in fact awake. Her eyes were wide as they flickered between Colden and the doctor, rimmed red but from what, she didn't know.

It was then that Colden noticed her presence. There were heavy purple bags underneath his eyes, contrasting against his normally olive skin. She noted that he hadn't washed his hair in a while, giving it the impression that it was darker than normal if that was even possible.