Chapter 1

THREE MONTHS AGO

Y/N POV:

I knocked on the door of my boss' office to hear a exhausted 'come in' from the other side of the door.

I opened the door to find a tired man, sitting at the desk and reading through some files. He looked at me and gave me a frown. Honestly, I would rather insist that he gave me one of his signature smiles, the one where his eyes would squint and one would wonder if he could see anything in front of him anymore.

“Ah Y/N-ah, I've told you so many times you don't have to knock. Just come in,” the sixty-year-old old man pouted, I must admit, somewhat cutely. He was turning back into a kid day by day.

Mr. Park is a like a father to me. No he is a father to me.

My parents passed away when I was a child, and since then I had been living with my grandmother. Then one day, a fancy car drives upto the front of my house and out comes a man I've come to highly regard as my God. He offered to undertake my education, and even though, I was suspicious of his unrequested good-will at first, I later came to know that Mr. Park was actually a close friend of my late father.

Once I completed my education with his help, I joined his company ‘Park Internationals’ as his personal secretary. Of course, it wasn't a job that did any justice to my qualifications, but Mr. Park asked me to and I didn't hesitate as I believed it was the perfect opportunity to show him my gratitude. I would complete 2 years here next month.

“You know I am an ardent believer in professionalism, sir,” I winked, just to tick him off.

“You're so stubborn,” he chuckled.

“Just like you,” I quipped. In fact, stubborness wasn't the only thing that we had in common. We pretty much had the same interests in hobbies, and not to mention, the same rotting, sense of humour. Well, it wasn't something I was proud of.

He squinted his already tiny eyes at me, “So did you go through the documents Kim enterprises sen-” He couldn't complete the sentence as he started coughing. This was not unusual nowadays. The ailments tied to his age and also the frequent visits to the hospitals, only gave way to the fact that the exhausted, old man needed a good rest for week or perhaps, longer.

“Yes sir. Their conditions are pretty acceptable. I think it would be a good idea to sign the contract.” I replied, while getting a glass of water for him.

Mr. Park drank the water and continued, “Hmm. I was thinking about it too. The company was recently taken over by his son.…. Guess our generation is becoming too old now.” He chuckled.

“Your generation? Don't be ridiculous. Your generation became old ten years ago. You should have quit the business a long time ago, old man. I can't still imagine what you are doing here.” I said humorously, the only one in the company who would dare to do that.

The old man chuckled. “Our generation would have quit a long time ago if your generation was any good at handling things. The last time I checked, you people were arguing about the right way to hang a toilet paper roll.”

“Ouch.” I fake-cried. Old as he was, the years of experience just made him much better at rebukes. “What is this? Battle of the generations?I'd let you win anyway, because even if you did win, you people won't live to celebrate it anyway.”

Mr. Park gave a short laugh. After a couple of minutes of silence he spoke again, “Maybe I should ask him to take over now?”

I looked at him with a blank expression, cross-checking whether he was serious.

“Oh come on, he's not that bad as you think. He didn't study in ‘London Business School’ for nothing, you know.”

“I didn't say anything,” I maintained a poker face.

“But if he were to own this company, you would help him, right?”

I assured him. “Of course.”

“Is that a promise?” He extended his pinky cutely, so that I would promise to protect his son's and company's future.

“Tell me honestly, sir, how old are you?”

“I'll tell you a secret. Don't tell anyone.” He signalled me to come closer.

I leaned in closer as to know what the big secret was. If I had been any wiser, I wouldn't.

“Coooooooooo”

The childish, old man screamed into my ear, making my bones jump.

“Oh my god, I'm done with you.” I left the giggling man behind and shut the door tightly, desperately trying suppressing a smile.

My thoughts drifted to him.

Will he be able to handle this company?

Will he be able to keep up his father's legacy?

Will I be able to handle Mr. Park Jimin?

_________________________________________