Chapter 52: The Wedding Thief

"This little piece of crap will not stop our wedding." That's what Lord Chester said when he finally recovered from the obvious threat on the note. He crushed the golden paper with his hand and threw it in the corner of the room. He glared at me and accused that I was planning to ruin the wedding with Lord Boris. I wanted to defend myself and tell him that it wasn't me. But I knew that his anger hindered him from listening so I watched silently as he stormed off the room. He didn't go back for the rest of the night and I just lied on the bed, restless and unable to sleep, wondering who would be sending a threat to the young ruler of the West Land particularly on the night before his wedding.

The morning came and I woke up from the little sleep I had. The servants were already waiting for me by the door; they were ready to put me on the bath tub and glam me up for the biggest event of my life. They were putting scented oil on the water when I realized that some of the servants were the ones I was with when I visited the Sea Port City. I frowned as I looked at them.

"Where's the girl who told me about the missing people?" I asked.

They all stopped from what they were doing, as if I had just asked another forbidden question. One of the servants bowed her head lowly before speaking, "She's gone, my lady." This caused uneasy glances from the rest of them.

"What do you mean by she's gone?" My attention focused on her and she somehow felt the need to answer my question.

"She talked about the lord in front of you in the Sea Port City. And then we couldn't find her anymore the day after that," she answered fearfully in small voice afraid that someone with evil intention was listening to hear.

I was struck with confusion and guilt that I wasn't able to make a reply. Is there really truth in the rumor about the missing people? I forced her to say Threy Weston's name; is it my fault that she's gone now?

When I remained silent, they continued bathing me, and I just followed them blankly, still deep in my thoughts. They were already doing my hair and putting colors on my face when the door opened and I saw my mother and Lady Amanda walked in to the room. Their eyes shined in awe when they saw me and the wedding gown that was carried by the servants.

They both hugged me, careful not to ruin my hair. The servants were probably seeing two lady rulers who plotted the wedding for their son and daughter. But I was seeing two friends who were happily supporting their favorite little girl.

"I don't know what your husband is planning, Amanda, but please, take care of my daughter." They were talking in low voices, like they shared a lot of secrets before coming in here.

Lady Amanda nodded, "Primrose is like a daughter to me, Adeline. And I'll treat her as she's going to be a part of my family."

It was a promise they made and I didn't know if it still mattered at the moment. It was hard to be a woman in a society that undermines our capacity and strength. I wondered if Lady Amanda could actually protect me from his husband's plan, especially when they kept a lot of things from her.