Chapter Twenty-Five

I woke up with a headache, my neck and shoulder in agony from the position I was lying in. Gabriel laid next to me fast asleep, his chest rising and falling. I sat up and yawned, manoeuvring myself off the bed and towards the window.

Looking out only to see darkness. It must have been the early hours of the morning, the events of yesterday suddenly invading my mind.

Taking a step back, I see Gabriel sitting up, his back leaning against the headboard. "How are you feeling? Michael said you should have healed fully by the morning."

"I feel exhausted, but my mind is wide awake." I admitted, walking back towards the bed.

Gabriel pulled my body on top of his, his eyes scanning over my injuries, his demeanour protective and possessive as he held onto me tightly. "You can't go for runs on your own any longer, not after today."

I frowned, raising my eyebrows. "Why? You killed Olivia; she was the problem. Why would I now need a protective detail?"

"Because we've still got rogue problems, and they have been attacking small packs around us. It's safer for you as the Luna of this pack."

"Gabriel, I don't need one –" I began to say, only to be cut off immediately by Gabriel, his tone harsh. "No Lara, you're having one. I'm not having a debate with you over this. I need to concentrate, and I can't be worrying about you when you're not with me."

I growled at his tone, not appreciating his words. "The only reason that situation happened was because of Olivia. No one else."

He narrowed his eyes, low growls emitted from his mouth as he stared intently at me. "We're not having this argument Lara. I'm protecting you and our daughter and I'm not explaining myself any further."

I wanted to say more but decided to drop it, his jaw was clenching, his eyes turning black as his wolf showed up. I simply shook my head and rolled off him, moving back onto my side of the bed.

I could understand his point to a degree, but I didn't see any threat to Kennedy or I. The only danger to us was Olivia, who Gabriel had killed. He had mentioned about more frequent rogue attacks along with rogues attempting to cross our borders, but they never managed to get far.

I simply laid on my side, Gabriel eventually sighed before laying back down, his arms reaching out to grab me, pulling me to his chest. His arm draping over my stomach, kissing the back of my head before whispering, "Good night."

~*~

It was Wednesday afternoon, two days after Olivia attacked me. My werewolf genes had quickened the healing process, my wounds no longer visible as if they were never there.

Gabriel and I didn't discuss what happened any further. I had thought more about what he had said and understood where he was coming from. There was also the threat of Nate, who I hadn't considered until yesterday, when he suddenly popped into my mind.

I couldn't be certain that Nate wasn't a danger to us, but I didn't want to take the risk. Until Gabriel could conclude the rogue situation, I would stay at home or only go out when he or other pack members were with me.

It also happened to be Kennedy's first day at Kindergarten, she was so excited this morning, bouncing around eager to make new friends. She was joining Tilly's class since they were born only months apart.

They had become very close friends; they were always together. I felt anxious about Kennedy started school, the same as every mother would.

She was bouncing up and down with excitement when we had arrived, eager to get into class to start playing with all the new toys.