Part 33

John sprinted towards the building, keeping his breathing steady as his feet pounded heavily across the ground. He pumped his legs, gaining momentum with each push. The cold air bit into his lungs as a thin layer of sweat formed on his forehead. The only thing that mattered at the very moment was to run.

Escape.

His feet slapped the concrete ground as John jetted past the several figures, which were blurred as a result of his speed.

He bolted towards the dormitory building, his leg muscles running warm, working as fast as he could. John's eyes began to sting as he reached the building, his breath coming in short gasps.

His feet pounded the steps as he ran up them. The soles of his shoes hit the ground as his mind became frantic, pleading nobody followed him. The objects far from him began to blur as he realized he reached the hallway of the dorm. The navy hall seemed as if it were a long corridor. A chandelier hung above him, illuminating a bright yellow light.

311.

John rummaged through his pocket until he found the small silver key to his dorm. He fiddled with the lock, hectically turning it. A loud clatter could be heard from the key smacking the metal knob from his franticness. Once the door opened, he got in as fast as he could and slammed the door behind him.

His hands brushed past the cool beige wall in the hallway of the dorm.

"Tat."

John's sprinting turned into leaps, his feet pounding on the wooden floors. He made his way into his room. He slammed the door and locked it, sliding down to the ground. He leaned against the wall as he sat on the cool floor. A grimace was present on his face, his teeth gritting together as his inner demons taunted him. He had striven to be a normal teen, sometimes it was just best to fade into the background.

The regrets he had in the past would continue to haunt him this very moment, the 'failure' others had deemed him as would continue to show in his mind.

There was no way to turn back. There was no way to fix it. All he could do was wait in utter silence, each moment of time eating away at his conscience.

His mind flashed back to when Arlo had trapped him in his yellow barrier, telling him "Fix it yourself."

John squeezed his eyes shut tightly, feeling the sting of tears threatening to flow down his face.

That's what I did! And this is the result.

His body trembled a bit until he thought back to when Seraphina was suspended and froze.

(*Flashback in John's POV*)

I walked back from school to my house, the bright sun shining down at me. My backpack was on one of my shoulders, which my right hand tightly clutched.

Every day has been the same painful grind.

Wake up.

Go to school.

Get beat up.

And come home with nothing to look forward to.

I enter the house, my eyebrows scrunched together in pure fury.

Why?

I shake my arms, causing my school jacket and book bag to drop to the ground, with a "Pah!" noise.

"Wham!"

I walk over to my bright red punching bag, thrusting my leg forward as a surge of strength due to my fury overfills me.