Chapter Twenty-four

Chloe's P.O.V

I didn't know what it was about Luke, but when we made eye contact my cheeks heated up and before I knew it my heart swelled, and I had to look away. It made me wonder...do I...like Luke Armstrong?

I blinked rapidly for a moment and shifted in the floor uncomfortably. I couldn't like Luke Armstrong. I mean, there is no way that I do. He is just impossibly cute and...Cute?! Did I really just think he is cute?! Oh my goodness no. No, no, no! This can't be happening! This needs to–

"Chloe are you okay?" Hailee snapped at me, grabbing a spoon from the kitchen drawer.

I swiveled my head to look at her. "Yes," I squeaked out, my face burning even more.

"Whatever you say, girl," Hailee rolled her eyes, went to the fridge and grabbed a yogurt. "I guess I'll be in my room if either of you need me, especially you Luke," she winked at him with a spoon in her mouth and sashayed her way to her room.

Luke and I looked at each with confused expressions. He shrugged like he had no idea what was going on, and I was sure that he didn't. That was just how Luke was. Oblivious. At least in that moment I blushed I hoped he was.

Luke and I studied for thirty minutes for our theatre appreciation exam. We went over the plays we were reading, which were Much Ado About Nothing, Taming of the Shrew, and Lysistrata. I had created key terms and definitions on index cards for us to use as flash cards. We quizzed each other in parts of the plays and definitions until we understood the material perfectly.

"Thanks for helping me study for the exam," Luke said as we finished up our studying. "I really appreciate it," he said with a brilliant smile, his mesmerizing green eyes filled with appreciation.

"It's no problem," I smiled at him as I got up from the floor. I was sure that Luke would help me with anything if I asked.

Luke got up from the floor, took his empty drink, and made his way to the trash can to throw it away. "Before I leave, I do have a question to ask you," he said as he threw the cup away.

A-a question to ask me? "What is it?" I asked as I fidgeted with my hands nervously. I could feel my face start to heat up again from the sheer wonder of what it could be.

Luke looked at me deeply and scratched his head, cracking a small, nervous smile. "I was wondering if you could help me with my play for theatre appreciation sometime before Halloween."

I sighed, not knowing if it was from relief or disappointment.

"As you can already tell, I'm not really into theatre or writing in general," he laughed a little. "And quite frankly, I'm terrible at both."

"I don't know about the writing part, but I can say that you're not too bad at theatre," I said. It probably didn't help that I said he wasn't 'too bad' as if I was insinuating that he wasn't good at it in general.

"No need to act like I'm any better than I am, because I'm not. The only things I am good at is chemistry and math."

I bit the inside of my cheek and slowly smiled. "And football."

"And I guess football," he broke into a grin.

"Don't even try to be humble about it, Luke. You're good and you know it. You're on the best team in the SEC and the best team overall according the rankings," I told him as I picked up my empty coffee drink and threw it away.

"If you say so," he shrugged. "But I appreciate that you think so."

"No seriously, Luke. Do you not watch football at all? It clearly states that you guys are the number one team," I cocked my eyebrow at him.