Chapter Eight

Jacob and Catherine now drive in silence, both of them just avoiding looking at the other. Jacob can feel her though, she's right there beside him, right there with him, and honestly he's never felt more at home. This is where he belongs. He smiles to himself and then looks to her.

"Catherine" he states.

"Be quiet" she warns, commands and he snaps his jaw shut, he glares a little. She glances to him. "I'm thinking" she tells him. He leans back in his seat. "You don't know me" she points out, he shrugs. "You can talk" she commands, and his jaw loosens, he looks to her.

"How'd you do that?" he asks touching his face, she sighs.

"You know that Edward can read minds?" she asks, he nods. "Alice can see the future, Jasper can control emotions......well...I." she sighs. "I can make people do what I want them to do" he raises an eyebrow. "I tell them to do something....I command them to do something and well.....they do it.....like talking" she looks to him. "Shutting up......I'm not a bad person, okay, and I don't use it...for evil" he smirks a little. "Why are you smirking at me?" she asks. He shakes his head.

"You're a vampire and you're worried about being evil" he tells her, she rolls her eyes.

"Aren't you supposed to be nice to me?" she asks. "Seen as I'm your imprint or whatever....." he shrugs. "So...what exactly is it?" she asks. "Like...love at first sight?" he shakes his head and looks to her as she drives.

"It's not like love at first sight, not really. It's more like... gravity moves... suddenly. It's not the earth holding you here any more, she does..." Catherine looks to him, they kind of just stare at one anther. "You become whatever she needs you to be, whether that's a protector, or a lover, or a friend" she looks away first.

"And what is that for us?" she asks. "What are you to me?"

"I don't know....yet" he tells her. She sighs. "If you're a Cullen....how come you haven't been around?" she glances to him.

"What? They didn't tell you?" she asks, he shakes his head. "I was married, for eighty years" she tells him. "And then this human comes along....and everything changes, she takes him away from me...." Jacob frowns, then clocks on.

"Oh" he breathes. "You and Edward?" he asks, she looks to him and then away. "Wow...sorry, that....well that sucks" she scoffs a laugh.

"Yeah, sucks" she repeats. "So I left" she adds. "My sister, Rose, she....convinced me to come back"

"For the wedding?" he asks, she shrugs.

"I think she hoped...that I would stay" she looks to him. "But I can't" she tells him.

"You still love him" he whispers.

"I was with him for a very long time, most of my vampire life, it's not just going to go away" he nods, he can understand that. It is a very long time to be with someone. To have feeling for someone. "What do we do now?" she asks him.

"Is there anyway I can convince you to stay?" he asks her, she looks to him. "Until they come back?" he asks. "If you leave....I don't know what happens" he admits. "With the imprint" she looks ahead, notes the sign for the airport. "Catherine"

"I don't know what to do" she admits to him.

......................

"Here" Catherine sets a soda in front of Jacob, the two of them sat in the airport cafe, she sits across from him.

"Thanks" he mumbles and leans forward a little as she taps on the side of an iced tea, they both know she won't drink it, that it's purely for appearance. "I..." he sighs. "I could come with you" he offers, she looks to him.

"What about the pack?" she asks. "Or what if in a week we can't stand one another" he chuckles and shakes his head.

"That's not going to happen, Catherine....we're.....connected to one another.....tell me you don't feel something here? Between us?" he asks. "You do not smell revolting" she looks to him. "Like the others..." he takes her hand. "You are do not feel cold to me" she looks to their hands, he strokes the inside of her wrist. She looks to him and pulls her hand away, Jacob looks to her.

"This is....weird" she tells him, he smirks a little. "You are my natural enemy" he nods.

"Yeah, I know...." he holds his hand out towards her. "And humans are your natural food source....you choose to ignore that" she flicks her eyes to his, still a little red, but mostly gold. She raises her hand and sets it in his, he smiles and curls his fingers around her hand. "Come back with me?" he asks, begs of her.

"Jacob" she whispers and looks to him sadly.

"Then let me come with you, it's one or the other, Catherine.....it's your choice" he smirks. "You're stuck me now, leech" she smirks.

"Mutt" she whispers back, he smiles at her.