Chapter Twenty-six

Chloe's P.O.V

Luke and I walked to theatre appreciation with my pink backpack slung over his shoulder. It was cute of him to offer to carry my backpack for me, knowing how much it bothered me. Perhaps if I didn't carry so many textbooks my backpack would be more manageable, but then again, I wouldn't have Luke carrying it for me. It made me nervous at first about him carrying it because I was worried about what other people would think. It only made us seem more like a couple, and I knew Luke wouldn't want that.

"I meant to text you the other day about when we should meet for writing our plays, but football practice got the better of me," Luke said as he shifted the backpack strap, glancing in my direction.

"You're fine," I reassured him. "I had band practice, so I didn't have time to think about it anyway."

Luke nodded and squinted his eyes, the sun's rays shining directly upon our faces. "How has band been?" he asked as he looked down at the pavement.

We walked under the shade of a nearby tree, relieving us of the sun's blinding light for a few moments.

"It's been pretty good, but I doubt I'll do it again next year," I said.

"Why is that? Don't you like being in band?"

"I love band, but I'm afraid that I won't have enough time for it next year. It's pretty time consuming, and it wastes time that I could be studying or hanging out with friends."

"I understand that. Your grades are your number one priority and if band gets in the way of that then I would quit too," Luke said as he looked in my eyes.

As soon as his green eyes penetrated mine, I felt myself blush. Darn it, Luke! Why can't we simply just have a normal conversation without you making me flustered? "Would you quit football if it got in the way of school?" I asked, forcing myself to tear my eyes from his.

"Probably not. I love football too much to quit."

I nodded, remembering that we still needed to set a day to write our plays for theatre appreciation. "So, where are we going to write our plays?"

"What about my dorm?" he asked.

H-his dorm? "Sure," I squeaked. I wondered what his dorm would be like. Maybe he wanted to have it at his dorm since we had our last study session at mine.

"You sound like that isn't a good idea," he laughed.

"No, it's a good idea. I'm cool with it," I tried to say as calmly as possible without my heart thumping a million beats per second.

"If you say so," he grinned to himself and looked up at the sky. "I really wish it would get darker soon. I really hate the sun in my eyes."

"I hate the sun in general," I grumbled.

"What are you, a vampire?"

"How did you know?" I joked, and he laughed. "What day and time do you think we should get together on?" I asked.

"I don't know, maybe another Sunday since that seems to be our least busy day?" he asked, sounding a little unsure of himself.

"How about in the morning?" I asked, shielding my face with my hand from the blistering sun.

"I can't do it in the morning. Coach Braxton has us review our games every Sunday morning and we analyze what we did wrong and what we can improve on."

"Wow."

"What?" he smiled.

"I knew how much work and effort was put into the Bama football team, but I never realized that you guys had to review the footage."