Chapter 28: A Resolution

Riley

Agnes and Edna were waiting for me in my room when I opened the door. Agnes was the first to pounce on me.

"Milady!" She exclaimed happily. "We watched you play the uldreyin from the next room, you were truly enchanting, you were captivating, everyone was watching you sing and play, and everybody adored you. Truly magnificent! Even the queen congratulated you! This is better than I could ever have hoped for!" She gushed, her eyes sparkled with glee. I was really glad to have someone in my life who cared so much about my prospects.

"Milady, you were truly brilliant," Edna said sincerely.

"Come Milady we must decide what you want to wear for the ball tonight..."

She took out the three ballgowns she had packed in for me and laid them out on the bed. I opted for the simplest one since I wanted to save the fancier ones for the next two nights. Edna then brought out a box of jewels for me to choose a pair of earrings, a bracelet and a necklace to wear tonight. I chose a set of pearls and diamonds that complimented the cream colour of the dress. 

Soon after, there was a knock on the door and some servants brought in a meal of beef stew and roast potatoes for me to eat before the ball started. I tried to eat as much of the food as I could so that I wouldn't go hungry, but it made me feel a little queasy to eat the same type of stew, again, which made me wonder if sending Agnes or Edna to fetch some food from my house would be rude. After I was finished, Agnes and Edna helped me into my dress.

 After I was finished, Agnes and Edna helped me into my dress

I then left them and walked down to the ballroom. I walked past huge white lounges and black and white marbled floors until I finally reached the ballroom, that was decorated in silver finishings and light blue paint, beautiful and intricate chandeliers hung from the ceiling, and a thousand candles and silver torches lit up the room.

When I entered the ginormous ballroom, there were already quite a few people there, huddled in groups and chatting while sipping on wine. I saw Cornelius standing with a group of other young noble gentlemen, including Lucian, so I thought I would go over to them, but just as I began to step towards them Lavinia stepped into my path and blocked my way.

"Lady Riley Delton... isn't it?" She asked in a croaky voice as if my name was something bitter and hard to swallow.

"Yes," Alice told me to be wary of her, so I wasn't really in the mood for a conversation.

"You know, being able to play the uldreyin and sing a little, isn't everything a lady needs to be..." that same thin heartless smile slithered across her face. I was also a little flustered by her random statement, what was she trying to say...

"Well, what..."

"First of all..." she interrupted me, "noble ladies shouldn't walk around with such disgraceful posture..." she said, cocking her head at me and looking at my chest, sneering at me for my lack of medieval etiquette. "Secondly, most ladies wouldn't be caught dead wearing the simple white frocks that you do..." I thought about the white dress I had worn when I had arrived, I knew it wasn't the fanciest dress but it was definitely above common standards, and how dare she judge me on my dresses when she was the one dressed like one giant, overdecorated pink cupcake!