40 • The Cycle Of Abuse

LAST CHAPTER

LAST CHAPTER. + ⚠ TRIGGER WARNING. end of this chapter has pretty graphic violence.

“Lily’s teacher called,” Eva told Vincent that night as she watched him get ready for bed.

His posture seemed to freeze before he slowly turned around to look at Eva. “Who?” he asked, a slight sneer on his lips. “Her favourite Mr Walker?”

Eva stamped down on the brewing fear and reminded herself that this wasn’t about protecting her from Vincent’s possible rage – this was about their child, their little girl.

“Yes,” she said, “Mr Walker.” Maybe if she was careful and didn’t refer to him as Terrence, this conversation would go a lot smoother.

Vincent’s jaw clenched and he tossed his phone onto the bedside table, the force of his gesture making Eva jump. “Why is the bastard calling you?”

Eva closed her eyes and inhaled. “Vince, it’s not like that. He’s worried about Lily.”

Her husband just snorted and shook his head, moving to sit down on the bed. “Is that his excuse now? His sudden concern for my daughter?”

“I’m worried too,” Eva said, swallowing but needing to go ahead with this topic, “she’s been getting into brawls with the other kids.”

“Children fight all the time, you silly woman,” Vincent snapped. “How does your friend not know that? What kind of qualifications does he even have?”

“It’s not about the fights, Vince!” Eva’s temper was rising, growing annoyed with her husband’s lack of interest. “It’s about why Lily’s picking these fights with other kids. She thinks bullying them will get her what she wants.”

“Well, does it?” Vincent raised a brow. “Does it get what she wants? Why are you so worried about it? Let the child be. And tell your friend to take his nose out of my kid’s life.”

Our kid,” Eva reminded determinedly, “not just yours. And it is Te– Mr Walker’s business if our child is having unhealthy ideas. He’s her teacher. It’s his job!”

“Don’t you dare defend him!” Vincent snarled, rising up from the bed and taking large strides towards her. Eva hurried backwards on instinct, and felt her back hit the wall. Vincent reached her in no time, his hands curling around her arms and digging into her flesh. “You’re my wife, don’t forget that.”

“I’m not defending him, Vince,” Eva said in a shaky voice, “I’m not – I’m just… I’m just really worried about our girl. Please understand. You love her, don’t you?”