Chapter 8

"But how?" I demanded, unable to believe. "How did he get to the other world? How did they know about the wall? Why didn't my mother—"

Mileva waved her hand, dismissing all my questions. "Doesn't make a difference to me. Also, to let you know, your mother couldn't survive the impact of the wall opening—she was standing too close. And that's it." She got up. "Thank you for your time. You three are to keep your mouths shut on this matter. If you tell anyone, trust me, we'll find out." She paused, then shifted forward till she was right in front of us. "And you don't want to imagine the consequences of that."

Saying this, she began to leave.

"Wait!" I cried. "How do you know all this, anyway? And who's this colonel?"

She turned around. Her face expressed no emotion, but she said, "I'm not from this world. And neither is the colonel. I hope that's answer enough."

I simply looked at her, trying to process her words. Anna was shaking her head in disbelief. Heather, however, wasn't as astounded as us.

Mileva was from the other world. Where my father was.

She opened the door and the three soldiers filed back in, their thudding footsteps reminding me of army men. They approached us, and one of them unlocked my handcuffs, roughly grabbed me by the arm and pulled me up. I instantly shook my hand away from his grasp. He glared at me.

Once all three of us were freed from the handcuffs, I felt a hand on the small of my back, and I was shoved out of the strange grey room, followed by Heather and Anna. I turned around. The soldiers, their rifles glinting under the light, went back inside the room with Mileva.

I shivered. I wanted to get of here, as far away as I could from that weird room and those strange people. Anna opened the door outside and I quickly rushed out into the open.

I took a deep breath, calming myself down, trying to think of everything at once. Anna walked out, Heather closing the door behind her.

"So Mileva was leaving the notes," she stated, as the three of us stood outside the shop like before.

"That's creepy," Anna said. "Like I said, a stranger's been going and coming to your house, without you knowing, Amy."

"I mean," I said, still knee deep in thoughts, trying to digest everything that had happened, "she didn't say she was leaving the notes. She only knew about it."

"What are the chances that it wasn't her?" Heather asked. "I mean, from what we know, it couldn't possibly be anyone else."

"No, wait," Anna said, thinking. "She was talking about some colonel person, too. Maybe he could be leaving the notes?" When we didn't say anything, Anna snapped her fingers. "No, it's not him. The fact that Mileva's calling him 'colonel' and not by his actual name, shows that she probably works under him. So he must've asked her to leave the notes."

Huh. I hadn't thought of that. "You're probably right," I murmured.

Heather shifted uncomfortably. "Can we go home?"

"Um, yeah, okay sure," I said. "Are you alright?"

She pressed her fingers to her forehead. "Yeah, I...I'm just having a little headache."

"Let's go," Anna agreed.

My mind was buzzing with the flood of new information, as we walked our way back home. Who was this colonel? Colonel was an army post. So he's from an army of the other world? What was he doing here, then?

And how was Mileva leaving the notes? How did she get in my room? Why did she want to know about the wall?

And what about my parents?