Chapter Thirty One

Rosalie smiles down at Niklaus in her arms as Catherine cooks, Emily's recipe binder open on the kitchen counter by Emmett who is flicking through it, he may not need to eat any more doesn't mean he can't appreciate good food.

"What's it like?" Emmett asks looking to Catherine. "Eating again?" she shrugs.

"It's like..." she cocks her head. "I've been eating something....bland my whole life" she admits. "And now there's like....this food explosion in my mouth when I eat" Emmett chuckles. "Jacob brought these chocolate covered strawberries in last night and I swear I have never eaten anything that delicious before....and I could taste everything....it's like...being human...but with vampire taste buds, you know..."

"No, we don't know" Rosalie teases. "That's why he asked" Catherine smiles and laughs, Rosalie and Emmett share a warm look, it's been so long since they've seen her smile and laugh that carefree.

"Mornin'" Jasper greets walking in with Alice, Rosalie shoots him a look, Jasper shrugs. Catherine looks to Alice then away, Alice smiles sadly and looks to Jasper. "Rose, Em...can I talk to you both.....outside?" Rosalie and Emmett share a look before standing, Rosalie sets Niklaus in the high chair next to the counter before following Jasper, Catherine goes back to cooking breakfast for the little hybrid and her big bad wolf.

"What do you want, Alice?" She ask as Alice sits at the counter beside Niklaus.

"I wanted to explain...why we've never been close"

"I get it" Catherine tells her. "Not everyone likes everyone, it happens....you've got Bella now...the sister you always wanted"

"I never hated you, Cat" Alice corrects. "I happen to like you very much.....but I've never been able to see you" Catherine frowns and looks to her. "You've been this blank space in my visions for as long as I've known you, and trying to see you gives me a headache" Catherine sighs.

"Why didn't you say anything?" she asks. Alice shrugs.

"I was afraid, the first time it happened...I thought it meant you were going to die.....and you were my sister, how could I tell you that? How could I tell you that I thought you were going to die....I didn't want you to hate me and I didn't want to be the one to make you sad because there is something about you when you are sad that just....it's like when you see a sad puppy.....it makes your heart ache...even a dead one" Alice pulls her sleeves down. "And then I kept waiting for it to happen.....but years passed and it never did and I didn't understand why" Alice admits. "Why I couldn't see you, why you were this blank space.....and it frustrated me...."

"Why now?" Catherine asks. "Why tell me this now?"

"Because I figured out why, I think it's to do with you being a hybrid....or because you were always meant to be a hybrid....just like I can't see Renesmee or Niklaus...I see vampires best, because I am one; I see humans okay, because I was one. But I can't see you odd half-breeds at all because you're nothing I've experienced" Catherine looks to Niklaus who watches her, watching her reactions before he makes up his mind on the vampire next to him. Alice looks down. "I hate that you've gone so long thinking I despise you, Cat. You're my sister and I love you and I'm sorry" Catherine moves around the counter and hugs Alice who hugs her back. "I'm sorry I've been a crappy sister and a worse friend"

...............

Jacob stands behind where Jasper, Emmett and Rosalie are looking into the cabin, he frowns.

"What are you doing?" he asks approaching the window. Inside he can see Catherine and Alice hugging.

"They made up.....somewhat" Emmett offers.

"I thought Shortie hated Cat" Jacob offers.

"No" Jasper corrects. "She's just always had a hard time seeing Cat in her visions....she never hated Cat.." Jacob shrugs and then heads inside. Catherine looks to him and smiles widely at him, he moves straight to her and kisses her.

"Morning" he tells her as he pulls away.

"Morning" she tell him back. "Did you get it?" she asks, he chuckles and pulls the jar of parsley from his shorts pocket.

"Of course" he kisses her and sets it on the counter before moving to Niklaus and grabbing his son. "Hey, little wolf" he greets and kisses the boys head as Catherine returns to cooking, Alice smiles and stands.

"I'll leave you two too it" she looks to Catherine. "I'll see you later?" she asks, Catherine smiles and nods and Alice leaves, Jacob watches her go before looking to Catherine.

"You okay?" he asks softly. Catherine nods.

"I am....just....I don't know...we just cleared the air a bit..." she smiles and sets two plates down on the counter and a small plastic kiddies bowl. "It's okay, Jake...I'm okay" he nods and sits with Niklaus as Catherine serves them breakfast.