Chapter 23

Chapter 23 (Not proofread so please ignore any grammar or spelling errors, thanks!).

                ‘Dear Kathryn.

                Apparently, my contact rights to your address have been stopped. If you called in or told someone about these letters, there’s going to be hell to pay, sweetheart. But don’t worry, I know it’s been a while since my last letter to you and this is our newest form of contact.

                Steven said he saw you as well, how do you think the letter made its way into Harley’s stable? I want to know who those boys are. The boys that came and took you away from him. Since I’m not there anymore, I need you to pay him back for me you will do so.

                Your picture is still missing; you’ll need to send me another. If you ever decide to get back to me, that is. The pendant that you got me is still here though, banging against my chest as I write this to you. I put so much effort in, only for you throw it back in my face. It’s unfair, Kat, just one letter.

                Much love, Finn x’

                I shuddered, dropping the letter onto the table with a sigh. Mum had gone back up to Somerset and as a result, Carter was spending the night in her room. It was helpful in a way, I could sneak the letter back out into the box without anybody noticing. Well, nobody but Eli. He checked the box on a regular basis, making sure that I wasn’t being hassled. For a couple weeks, I hadn’t been and Eli said that he’d called into the prison to ask them to take away the rights to contact the house. He was allowed, apparently, considering that my mum still lived there so as far as they were concerned, the letters were for her.

                “Hey,” I looked up at the sound of Eli’s voice. I offered him a smile and his eyes dropped down to the note on the table. He blew out through his lips, strolling over and dropping into the chair opposite me.

                “I thought I contacted the prison?” he asked, sliding the note over towards him, creasing the corner of the paper with his calloused fingers.

                “Steven dropped it off at Harley’s stable. That’s what I’m guessing, anyway,” I muttered, looking down at the wood on the table.

                “You should take these to the police,” he said at last, dropping the paper onto the table. The gust from the paper hit my bare arms and I shook my head, giving him a look.

                “I can’t,” I whispered, looking up and meeting his eyes for the first time since he came in. The moment he looked back, I knew there was a little bit of understanding there.

                “Okay,” he said, blowing through his lips. “Okay.” I looked at him for a moment before getting up and walking over to the kitchen side, listening to my footsteps echo around us. Eli’s footsteps followed shortly after, hovering behind me as I started work on preparing a water bottle for Harley.

                “Question for a question?” Eli asked. I nodded, not needing to say anything anymore because it was just so normal to me.