10 Favoring Qie Over Wife (10)

To notify the women that they had an unwanted audience, Prime Minister Li loudly coughed. Fortunately, Da furen was quick to turn around and rise up to her feet.

Her eyes slid to Zhao Cheng for a breadth of time before returning back to her husband. She asked, "Did the two of you already finish discussing business matters?"

It was not only Da furen who exhibited this weird reflex. Several pairs of eyes couldn't help but focus on Zhao Cheng as well, sizing him up from head to toe.

Zhao Cheng felt like his face had reached rock bottom as his neck turned into a deep shade of scarlet. This wang fei of his was certainly too capable! She had destroyed his dignity, reputation, and masculinity in one breath. If the rest of the imperial princes heard how his wife gave him a deadly strike in one blow as compared to their various schemes and ploys, they would probably be so ashamed that they would not be able to face their ancestors.

Prime Minister Li forced a smile into his face as he replied, "Yes, we finished...rather early."

He went into a violent fit of coughing as the words his daughter just said reverberated in his mind. Quickly changing the subject, he added, "Jia'er, your Highness, why don't you stay with us for lunch? We prepared a huge feast to celebrate Hua'er's hair-pinning ceremony and we certainly won't be able to finish it by ourselves."

Da furen and Matriarch Li also echoed their agreement. Li Hua tugged at Song Jia's arm and begged, "Dajie, stay with us a little longer!"

Little Li Jing climbed over Song Jia's lap and gazed at her, her clear eyes reflecting Song Jia's conflicted expression. Song Jia exchanged glances at Zhao Cheng, and saw that he looked just as helpless.

Zhao Cheng could not reject their good intentions and nodded. "Then we'll be troubling father-in-law."

Prime Minister Li waved his hand, "No trouble, no trouble at all."

The couple then joined the Li household for lunch, going into the receiving room. Song Jia sat next to Zhao Cheng, picking up her tea cup and lightly blowing at the tea leaves floating on the surface. She was listening to the conversation around her with a smile.

Not much later, the servants carried in plate after plate of delicious food. As they placed them on the table, Li Hua suddenly leaned forward and directed her gaze at Zhao Cheng. She supported her chin with her hand as she asked him, "San danxia, do you know why dajie likes you?"

Song Jia paused. Her eyelashes fluttered. She ignored his stare and continued sipping her tea. Li Jia actively pleaded her father to let her marry Zhao Cheng, so it was apparent that she liked him. However, he never asked, and even in the original host's past life, she never provided the reason.

Zhao Cheng tilted his head and redirected his glance at Li Hua, before shaking his head. He didn't know. It never crossed his mind to ask. He had a good opinion about Prime Minister Li and the way Madam Li handled the inner courtyard. So when Prime Minister Li proposed the idea that his eldest daughter wanted to marry him, he thought that if Li Jia's attitude towards his concubines were even half of her mother's, Bai Mei Lien would not suffer any grievances after she entered the wangfu.

In the end, he was only thinking about Bai Mei Lien and not about the thoughts of his future wife.

Li Hua did not speak of it any further and only said, "You should ask dajie the reason why."

The dishes were set, its aroma appetizing, and curls of smoke could be faintly seen swirling upwards from the heat. There was a preoccupied look in Zhao Cheng's eyes as he elegantly took the first bite of the food. Only after he finished swallowing did the rest of them pick up their chopsticks and started eating.

Prime Minister Li took the chance to talk to his daughter about random events happening in the capital, while repeatedly reminding her to take more care of her health. He even told Zhao Cheng to let a physician check in on her. Zhao Cheng absently nodded.

A light flashed briefly across Song Jia's eyes when she saw Zhao Cheng agree, thinking, Well, it seems that this grandma doesn't have to work hard to meet him at all...lucky~

After they were done, Song Jia bid her goodbyes to her family and promised that she would visit them again. She followed Zhao Cheng to the side entrance where their carriage was already waiting for them, being guarded by a senior servant.

Zhao Cheng helped Song Jia up the carriage, the warmth of her soft hand lingering on his skin. He didn't follow after her, but instead took the reins of a tall and sturdy stallion that his manservant was handing over to him. Its coat was pure black, its mane shiny and smooth. When Zhao Cheng leaped onto its back, he looked even more regal and imposing.

As they traveled through the streets of capital, in between munching of different pastries, Song Jia looked at the fluttering curtain that sometimes showed the handsome side profile of her husband. Among the imperial princes, he was the most outstanding. The crown prince had been coddled by the Empress since young, so he had a weak and indecisive personality. 

Currently, he had ten concubines, with a daughter born from the crown princess and two shu-born sons. He could be considered as a kind man, but this kindness also had its disadvantages as his concubines began to gradually forget their status since he rarely gave out punishments. They frequently bullied the crown princess, his main wife, causing her to miscarry more than once.