24

The crack and boom of thunder made you jump up from your bed and cry out in fear. As it turns out, you weren't the only one crying. You listened intently to the walls of pain that echoed through the mansion, but you didn't dare to move from your position. Another angry stroke of lightning flashed outside the house and another scream followed.

If it wasn't you screaming, that left one person. Brahms.

Slowly, you shuffled out of the covers and swung your legs out of the bed. With luck, the floor of your room was lined with carpet, ensuring you made no commotion if you'd needed to get a glass of water at night. Of course, this was a different scenario, but the carpet served the same purpose.

You had made it to your bedroom door and brought your ear to it. The howling had died down, but you wanted to see him. You wanted to see how he.. acted under the cover of nightfall. The thunder and lightning had stopped for the time being too, but you were sure it would appear back eventually.

Quietly, you put your hand on the doorknob and turned it, willing it not to make any noise. Opening the door, your sense heightened automatically. Even though you had been around Brahms a few times, you still weren't comfortable letting your guard down with him in the house.

You slipped out into the hallway and padded to your bathroom. After giving the area a brief search, you saw he wasn't in there. You chose to check his parents room, but surprisingly, he wasn't in there either. Finally, you checked Brahms' childhood room.

You peered through the darkness in his room, praying the bad weather wouldn't return. Not yet at least.

At long last, you found him.

Brahms' hazel eyes stared into your own, seeming brighter now then ever before. A shiver ran down your spine and goosebumps appeared on your arms. The house had suddenly grown quite cold, and you weren't wearing your gown. At least you had pyjamas on.

"Brahms?" You sweetly called out to him. Cautiously, you stepped forward into his room, closer to Brahms.

You heard shuffling from his direction but didn't waiver from your position. You weren't going to give in to him now.

"I heard you crying, so I came to find you," You told him.

The slow creaking of floorboards in your direction made you freeze. Adrenaline rushed through your body, triggering your fight-or-flight response. You still didn't move.

Brahms came into view, bit by bit. The sconces in the hallway were the only piece of wire you had, and even then the light was soft.

It made Brahms seem.. harmless.

Deep down, you wanted to believe that he was, but you'd seen what he did to Cole and Malcolm. If he wanted to, Brahms could snap your neck like it was a twig. That thought circled around your head everyday.

"I was w-wondering if you wanted to sleep in my bed tonight, with me," You offered him shyly, silently cursing yourself for stuttering. If you were honest, you didn't know why you'd even offered in the first place. You were just thinking you weren't comfortable with him, so why were you offering to-

"Yes," Brahms answered, his voice gradually getting deeper and huskier. "I want that, very, very much."

You were shocked and knew for definite that it was written all over your face. Instantly, a wave of regret washed over you. What if he tried to make a move on you, or worse?

———

Brahms had followed you to your room, observing you as you shivered every so often. Secretly, Brahms had hoped you'd come and find him, but he never believed you actually would.

It was too late to say anything now. Reluctantly, you slipped back into bed, Brahms moving in next to you. You turned away from him, but kept on shivering. The thin sheets did nothing to protect you from the cold unlike how you thought they would. Your teeth chattered together, and a shiver ran down your spine once more.

Brahms here restless, huffing and puffing in frustration. Why wouldn't you just come into his arms? Were you.. afraid? Of him? Brahms was hurt at these thoughts, but a sense of determination came to him. Brahms would make sure you weren't going to be afraid of him again. He liked you. He didn't want you to react the same way Greta had.

Not standing the cold any longer, you lifted your head from your pillow and turned your body to Brahms. He observed you as he had done so many times before.

"Can you.. keep me warm, please?" You whispered to him.

Slowly, Brahms opened his arms to you. You took that as a yes.

Warily, you moved over to Brahms, but didn't regret it at all. His body engulfed yours in warmth, the noisy chattering of your teeth beginning to die down. He held you as tight as he could and cradled you.

For once, everything seemed right in the world.               For once, everything was working out.

Brahms looked down onto your sleeping face and sighed contentedly. You were.. perfect. You fit so elegantly in Brahms' arms, and your delicate chest rose and fell in time with Brahms' own thudding heartbeat.

A soft shower of rain began to fall onto the house, pattering on the windows. No more thunder. No more lightning.

Only a perfect moment Brahms would remember for years to come.