forty-one.

+ fake smiles +

+ fake smiles +

I sat handcuffed to a metal table, staring at a window of two way glass, the room being lit by a few light bulbs. I smiled at the glass, knowing there was people behind it, staring straight back at me. "Hi" I said quietly and threateningly, waving my hand as well as I could at the glass, hoping they were freaking out as to why I was here.

The door opened, a lanky man walking into the room as i stared at him, watching as he sat down at the chair at the other side of the table. "Jack Thompson" he said, throwing a file down onto the table, staring at me with his jaw clenched as I let out a small breath. I didn't reply, straightening my back, staring him straight in the eyes as he looked away first, opening the file, laying out pictures and separate file sheets on the table in front of me.

The first was my file sheet that I had first seen in 1942, a picture of me staring down a camera stapled in the corner, my hair in victory curls and a red lip stick slapped on my lips.

Agent Allison Cooper, Strategic Scientific Reserve.

The next was a picture of Bucky, Steve and I, all sitting around a table in the pub, smiling widely with pints of beer in our hands. My eyes immediately drifted to Bucky and I, his arm around my shoulders, both of us beaming at the camera as i ran my tongue over my teeth, looking away quickly. The next was the condolence letter that Colonel Philips's has presumably written after the day on the train, his signature scrawled over the bottom.

We regret to inform you about the death of Agent Allison Cooper.

"See this" Jack Thompson said, pointing at the condolence letter with his knuckle as he leaned forward towards me. "This confirms your death, yet here you are, sitting in front of me" he added, shaking his head at me as I didn't reply, I propping my elbows on the table, looking down at the paper in front of me. "Care to tell me how that works?" he continued after a beat of silence, knocking on the table lightly as I looked back up at him.

I still didn't say anything, staring him down as took a deep breath through my nose, exhaling through my mouth. "Can I have a glass of water?" I asked, looking past him to the mirror, rubbing my lips together as I awaited a response. "Not until you tell me about what happened in 1945" he told me, staring at me as I sighed, leaning back in my chair.

"You might want to start talking soon" he said to me, folding his arms as he leaned back in his chair, shaking his head at me, causing I scoffed lightly, rolling my eyes at him as I raised my eyebrow at him. "Or what?" I said to him, gently pulling on the handcuffs, the metal clicking against each other which caused Thompson to flinch lightly, making me scoff as I leaned forward in my chair.

"You're probably the carrot right? Who's going to come in after you and start hitting me for information" I asked him quietly, leaning back slowly as I smirked at him condescendingly, knowing the exact techniques on how to make people talk. "I doubt Allison Cooper was ever your real name" he said, shifting in his chair after my threat as I scrunched my nose at him.