25. mad man

C H A P T E R  2 5

❛ mad man❜

MILO

     HE TURNED TO WALK AWAY FROM QUINN'S CELL, burying the thousands of questions he still had for her. He couldn't do much else than put them away in the back of his mind and ask them when they managed to get a moment of peace. Right now she had to rest.

Walking towards Axel he reached out to put his hand on the man's shoulder, squeezing it reassuringly. Losing Oscar had been hard on him. The entire way back from Woodbury he'd dreaded bringing him the news and eventually it'd been even worse than for all the scenarios he'd prepared for.

Axel had known Oscar far longer than he had. He'd protected Axel in prison, taking him under his wing and taught him how to survive. And then the two of them had done the same when Milo was put on kitchen duty with them. But now the friendly inmate was gone, leaving a hole that could never be filled. Just when Milo started to believe they might actually be able to live in this new world, it took another life to prove him wrong. He was starting to wonder how many more lives it would take before he'd finally learned his lessons. The thought alone made him sick.

Carol walked towards the two men, startling Milo out of his thoughts. She gave the both of them a small smile, a wordless way of saying she was sorry for their loss.

'Whenever Tomas went off,' Axel started, 'Oscar always stood up for me, you know? He was my friend.'

Milo turned to look at Rick who approached the three of them. 'He went out fighting,' the cop said, as if that would make his death more meaningful somehow.

'So, what now?' Beth asked, holding Judith in her arms as she walked up to them. 'Do you think the Governor will retaliate?'

'Yes,' Maggie her voice echoed through the cell block.

'Let 'em try,' Glenn said, his voice numb.

'Sounds like he's got a whole town,' Carol added, looking at Rick, 'we're outnumbered and outgunned.'