Chapter 25

"What the—"

The voice came from the woman in the driver's seat, just as I picked myself off the van's floor. My cheek still pulsed from the slap, while I examined the dark surroundings for Aiko. She was sitting on the floor just like me, but with two male hunters sitting on either side of her. I scanned her from the top of her head to the ankles peeking above her socks, and luckily, there wasn't a single lock of hair out of place.

"Move!" The same woman shouted.

"What's going on?" The unfamiliar hunter staggered over to the front and leaned his body against the back of the front seats.

"One of the stupid beasts," the woman hissed. "It refuses to move off the road."

"Kill it." The male hunter didn't hesitate for even a second. "Let the van smash it."

"No." I struggled to get off the floor, but a sudden lurch caused me to fall back onto my butt.

A beast could only mean one thing. A werewolf in wolf form.

"Are you—"

Before the woman could even finish her question, the van lurched again. However, this time the push came from a different direction. My back smashed against the wall behind me, while Aiko and the other hunter flew forward. The vehicle's front turned into a sharp left, making it feel like something had smashed right against the side of the van and sent it spiraling down the road.

The van spun for three further circles before it crashed against something. The second we stopped moving, the side door swiped open. Because of the bright light from the outside, I rose my hand in front of my eyes to shield them. Yet the moment I lifted my hand, a warm hand wrapped around my wrist and pulled me forward.

With one swift tug the floor of the van underneath my feet disappeared and I landed on the hard gravel road. The small stones dug into my legs, but I ignored them as I looked up to the person still grasping my wrist. For a moment all I saw was a pair of pitch black eyes and two sharp canines peeking underneath an upper lip. Then the sharp features molded with a familiar top of dark hair and I finally recognized Dyson.

Before I could relax at the sound of his name on my lips, the van roared back to life. The spinning of the wheels sent a swirl of gravel and dust flying in all directions, almost blinding me in the process.

"Aiko!" I pulled on my wrist, which was still in Dyson's hold. "Aiko is still inside the van."

The said werewolf immediately let go of me and in the next second lunged after the speeding van. His clothes ripped to shreds as a dark fur replaced his skin. A second later he was on four feet and jumped into the open side door of the fleeing van.

The wolf's tail didn't even make it fully inside the van when the animal already jumped back out. This time, however, it had Aiko's arm in its snout. She was screaming as the wolf forced her out of the speeding vehicle.

She wasn't the only one whom the wolf pulled out though. The blonde hunter—Kevin—had his arm wrapped around Aiko's waist, and apparently his hold was strong enough to pull him out of the van as well.

The wolf was the first one to land on its side at the edge of the road. It was followed by Aiko and then the blonde hunter as they both landed in the gravel. The van, on the other hand, continued to speed down the road, never stopping even for a moment.

"Naia!"

Jared skidded to a stop right beside me and grasped my chin in between his strong fingers. He turned my head, so I was forced to tear my eyes off the disappearing van.