13

Lexi's POV:

I walk into the front door, absolutely exhausted from the day I've had. Katie asked me to help her at one of the local festivals with running a booth, so I agreed because I needed some cash... worst idea of my life.

"I'm home." I call out, pulling my ball cap off my head shaking my hair around. "Are you cooking dinner tonight?" I ask, working my way to the kitchen.

I hear my mom talking, but not to me.

"Hello?" I mutter, walking through the doorway.

I nearly have a heart attack when I see my mom and Evan standing in the kitchen.

"Hi, sweetie. How was the festival?" My mom asks.

My eyes remain glued to the beautiful woman beside her, "it was tiring." I manage to stutter. Why is she here?

"Hey, Lexi." She says.

"Hi." I say and grab a water from the fridge. I know I look like a hot mess. I've been working outside all day. "I'm starving. Are you cooking?" I ask, looking at my mother.

She shakes her head no, "you can go pick something up if you'd like."

"I'm too tired to go anywhere." I shrug, figuring I'll just wait until tomorrow. "What're you two talking about?" I ask, seriously puzzled.

"Graduation ceremony. Evan is reading the names of the graduates this year as they cross the stage!" My mom say, extremely excited.

I take my eyes to Evan and she nods, eyeing me hard.

When I look at her all I can think about is the taste of her lips. A few nights ago she was pulling me closer in her bed, kissing me in the sweetest, most passionate way... now I'm lucky if she even lets me get close to her.

"I'm gonna shower." I say and sigh, "see ya, Evan."

"Bye, Lexi." She says.

Weird. My mom and Evan have never been the type to talk and have neighborly pow-wows.

The only thing that Evan being in my house alone with my mother tells me is that Scott is home early and with the kids, which mean Evan is surely avoiding him. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that she doesn't enjoy being around him and that it pains her to do so. I despise that man for that reason alone.

* * *

Evan's POV:

Scott walks into our bedroom with nothing but a white towel around his waist. As big of an ass as he is, he's still one of the most attractive men I've ever seen.

I look him up and down from the comfort of the bed as he ruffles his hand through his wet hair.

"How was work?" He asks me, the first civil thing he's said to me since we had our last fight.

"It was work." I sigh and lay my phone down on the bedside table. "What did you get into today?"

"Lunch with my mom." He says, turning his back to me and dropping the towel. I watch him slide into a pair of underwear and he faces me again. "She's selling her house and moving closer." He informs.

Joy. Scott's mom is the sweetest lady, but she knows no boundaries. Be it in our kid's lives and the role she plays, or Scott and I's marriage, she is very present and opinionated.

"Any reason?" I ask.

"She wants to be closer to the kids." He sighs, pulling the comforter back. I bite my cheek and nod slowly. I start to read one of the magazines beside the bed and I feel his hand on my waist, "still pissy?"