When HYDRA Joins for Date Night

Summary: All Steve and Natasha wanted was a peaceful date night. Apparently HYDRA got the invite as well.

Steve stood in front of Natasha's door, taking a moment to calm his panicked heart before knocking. It wasn't their first date by far. He couldn't even list all their dates, both official and unofficial. Nonetheless, he was still nervous as he raised a hand and knocked on Natasha's door. He heard her say something on the other side of the door, but he wasn't really listening. Soon the door was pulled open and Natasha stood in front of him wearing a dark leather jacket, black jeans, and a t-shirt. She was busy stuffing a gun in her purse so she didn't immediately notice Steve staring, but once she looked up, she smirked.

"Hey there," she said. Steve snapped back to the current moment and smiled, offering her his arm. She looped her arm through his and rested her hands in the crook of his elbow. "So, where are we off to tonight?"

"If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise," Steve replied with a smirk. Natasha frowned and Steve kissed the side of her head playfully. "Don't worry. I'm sure you'll love it."

"Oh no, I know I will," Natasha told him, letting him lead her out of her apartment building. His motorcycle was nowhere in sight but before she could ask, he was answering her unspoken question.

"I figured we'd walk since it's nice out," Steve said.

Natasha smiled and nodded. She didn't mind walking through the city. She'd gotten used to people doing a double take when they saw her downtown or with any of the other Avengers. She was mildly surprised that no one had reported her and Steve's relationship to the press yet, but they also hadn't gone out as a couple very often. Exposing herself after the SHIELD-HYDRA incident then the Ultron fall-out made it difficult to do normal things.

They walked down the busy sidewalks, talking between themselves quietly. Natasha let Steve guide them through the city, not asking more about their date. She'd let him be secretive if he wanted to. It wasn't often he could surprise her, so she'd allow him the luxury this once. However, she shouldn't have been as surprised as she was when they stepped into a small yet busy bistro. She smiled. Steve was good when it came to discovering cozy little places that were unique to the area. She had no doubt this place would have good food, too.

"Table for two, please," Steve said to the hostess.

She nodded and led them to a table near the back of the restaurant. Steve glanced back to see Natasha looking around the bistro, likely admiring the decor while also making note of everyone inside and nearby exits. He didn't tell her to relax, knowing it wouldn't keep her from searching for escape routes. She'd only relax once she knew where to watch and go in case something happened. Besides, her obsessive habit had come in handy a couple of times in the past.

Their waitress listed off their specials for the day as she handed them menus and Steve smiled and nodded, hardly hearing a word she said. His hand discreetly went to the pocket of his jacket and he relaxed slightly at the feeling of a small box. Natasha glanced at him from across the table, silently asking if he was alright. He nodded at her and she smiled, looking down at her menu. He copied her, but he already knew what he was going to order. It was a good thing he'd been here once before or he'd look like a fool: staring at his menu then not knowing what to order when the waitress came back. Luckily for him, Natasha had taught him a couple of things over the past few years they'd worked together and he'd gotten much better at faking.

"Where to after this?" Natasha asked as the waitress walked away with their orders. Steve leaned back in the booth, glancing out onto the busy street outside.

"Why the rush? Got a hot date?" he teased. Natasha just rolled her eyes and took a sip of her water.

"If you must know, yes," she replied, sipping her ice water coyly. "He's a little annoying; doesn't tell me things and makes me worry he's going to throw me in the back of a car and kidnap me."